Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 12:58:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lawyer Rant

Started by TPK, Jun 12, 2005, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPK

Soc,

My NY attorney is a single practioner and also some sort of town Judge. I'm getting a little weary of his lack of attention..and some lack of detail.

I've retained him since 12/04. In that time he has returned a phone call 1 time that I can remember. I always had to call back. On 5/31/05 I called him to tell him about my wife's brother's end of allowing the Weds & Sunday visits at his house. Attorney said he'd call wife's attorney to see what he could do (revise visitation). I told him that upon speaking to her to call me back with any feedback.

A week and a half goes by and no phone call. This past Weds. I called his office to inquire about this situation and he was in a meeting with a client. His gal told me she'd ask him about it and call me back. I never got a call back but got a bill for that 5/31 phone call to him.

I found out he never submitted an "answer" to my wife's pleadings. I found this odd.

After the preliminary conference I told him that I wanted EOW Fri to Mon. He replyed "don't you want a Friday off?" I told him absolutely not and that my demands were firm.  He just seems to want to "push it thru" and get the divorce done. His comment bothered me.

My NJ lawyer was part of a 3-man firm. He was very diligent and always returned phone calls and copied me on everything. He was worth the money I spent and had a very professional attitude.

I guess I can see a difference between a firm and a single practioner. My NY lawyer may have a full plate, but I don't want excuses.

1. Should I be more demanding with him?....ie "I WANT you to do this etc"

2. If so on #1, where do I draw the line on my demands (it is my money I'm spending).....I don't want to be too much of a pest.

Being a business owner myself, I know how to cater to the customer til he's 100% satisfied.

3. Other than ethics matters, what else should be grounds for firing him?

My divorce is almost complete so I may keep him on board til it's over but will seek other counsel in the future.

4 Lastly , how important is it to be 100% comfortable with your lawyer?

Maybe I'm nit picking, but this divorce is taking too long and it seems like he's sitting on his thumbs up there.

Thanks

TPK

socrateaser

>1. Should I be more demanding with him?....ie "I WANT you to
>do this etc"

I don't know. Seriously.

>
>2. If so on #1, where do I draw the line on my demands (it is
>my money I'm spending).....I don't want to be too much of a
>pest.

Send a letter and tell him your concerns and ask him to address them.

>Being a business owner myself, I know how to cater to the
>customer til he's 100% satisfied.

This is the legal service business. There is no such thing as a satisfied customer. LOL!

>
>3. Other than ethics matters, what else should be grounds for
>firing him?

You don't need grounds. If you don't like his work, find someone else.

>My divorce is almost complete so I may keep him on board til
>it's over but will seek other counsel in the future.

That's fairly typical.

>4 Lastly , how important is it to be 100% comfortable with
>your lawyer?

Not at all. What's important is that you are both clearly in agreement as to where you are headed with the case and how and when you will get there. You cannot just hope the attorney will handle things. Most attorneys are reactive by nature. Unless someone pushes, nothing happens. (exception for big class action and personal injury attorneys -- commission salespeople are always more agressive).

>
>Maybe I'm nit picking, but this divorce is taking too long and
>it seems like he's sitting on his thumbs up there.

Probably is, but I can't say for sure.