Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:42:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hello Soc, a question about Child Support Enforcement and my dead spouse

Started by whippertizzy, Sep 06, 2005, 04:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippertizzy

Hopefully I can conform to the new guidelines.

I have sent child support enforcement 3 certified death certificates.  They keep sending paperwork insisting that he has this arrears.  I am pretty sure his child support obligation ended the moment he died.  There was no estate.(They are adding on more arrears every month as well)

They are operating under the premise that he is still alive.  Last time I called them to remind them again that I had spent 40 dollars so far sending them certified death certificates, they said so sorry, their mistake, they will take care of it.

This month they send another notice, saying they were taking child support out for my dead spouses two minor children FROM THE JOB HE JUST STARTED WORKING IN KENTUCKY.  I find this almost amusing as I do not think my spouse has left his urn and returned to the workforce. (And to life for that matter)

I called them again, and this time they argued with me saying that "He has to be alive or else we wouldn't be taking child support from him at his new job"  Obviously they are not taking child support from my spouse, but I worry they  have attached this case to a wrong person.

1. Is there anything I could, or should do about this?
2. I have sent them 40 dollars worth of certified death certificates, sent them certified mail.  At what point does my responsibility to do this end?

socrateaser

>Hopefully I can conform to the new guidelines.
>
>I have sent child support enforcement 3 certified death
>certificates.  They keep sending paperwork insisting that he
>has this arrears.  I am pretty sure his child support
>obligation ended the moment he died.  There was no
>estate.(They are adding on more arrears every month as well)
>
>They are operating under the premise that he is still alive.
>Last time I called them to remind them again that I had spent
>40 dollars so far sending them certified death certificates,
>they said so sorry, their mistake, they will take care of it.
>
>This month they send another notice, saying they were taking
>child support out for my dead spouses two minor children FROM
>THE JOB HE JUST STARTED WORKING IN KENTUCKY.  I find this
>almost amusing as I do not think my spouse has left his urn
>and returned to the workforce. (And to life for that matter)
>
>I called them again, and this time they argued with me saying
>that "He has to be alive or else we wouldn't be taking child
>support from him at his new job"  Obviously they are not
>taking child support from my spouse, but I worry they  have
>attached this case to a wrong person.
>
>1. Is there anything I could, or should do about this?
>2. I have sent them 40 dollars worth of certified death
>certificates, sent them certified mail.  At what point does my
>responsibility to do this end?

Just ignore them. He's dead and you're not responsible for his child support.

jilly

If your deceased spouse has just started a job in Kentucky have you considered the possibility of identity theft?  You might want to get a credit report and see if there's been any activity.  If someone has stolen your husband's identity the joke is on them!  Bet they weren't counting on having child support taken out of their check! LOL

As for their comment that he has to be alive or else [they] wouldn't be taking child support out of his check....just goes to show you that the people employed at child support enforcement aren't the brightest bunch in the world.  Have you considered contacting someone higher up in government about this?  Hopefully there's somebody that can inject some common sense somewhere.  I know it's a stretch but hope springs eternal!

Just a couple of thoughts.

Soc: forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds.

whippertizzy

Hopefully I can conform to the new guidelines.

I have sent child support enforcement 3 certified death certificates.  They keep sending paperwork insisting that he has this arrears.  I am pretty sure his child support obligation ended the moment he died.  There was no estate.(They are adding on more arrears every month as well)

They are operating under the premise that he is still alive.  Last time I called them to remind them again that I had spent 40 dollars so far sending them certified death certificates, they said so sorry, their mistake, they will take care of it.

This month they send another notice, saying they were taking child support out for my dead spouses two minor children FROM THE JOB HE JUST STARTED WORKING IN KENTUCKY.  I find this almost amusing as I do not think my spouse has left his urn and returned to the workforce. (And to life for that matter)

I called them again, and this time they argued with me saying that "He has to be alive or else we wouldn't be taking child support from him at his new job"  Obviously they are not taking child support from my spouse, but I worry they  have attached this case to a wrong person.

1. Is there anything I could, or should do about this?
2. I have sent them 40 dollars worth of certified death certificates, sent them certified mail.  At what point does my responsibility to do this end?

socrateaser

>Hopefully I can conform to the new guidelines.
>
>I have sent child support enforcement 3 certified death
>certificates.  They keep sending paperwork insisting that he
>has this arrears.  I am pretty sure his child support
>obligation ended the moment he died.  There was no
>estate.(They are adding on more arrears every month as well)
>
>They are operating under the premise that he is still alive.
>Last time I called them to remind them again that I had spent
>40 dollars so far sending them certified death certificates,
>they said so sorry, their mistake, they will take care of it.
>
>This month they send another notice, saying they were taking
>child support out for my dead spouses two minor children FROM
>THE JOB HE JUST STARTED WORKING IN KENTUCKY.  I find this
>almost amusing as I do not think my spouse has left his urn
>and returned to the workforce. (And to life for that matter)
>
>I called them again, and this time they argued with me saying
>that "He has to be alive or else we wouldn't be taking child
>support from him at his new job"  Obviously they are not
>taking child support from my spouse, but I worry they  have
>attached this case to a wrong person.
>
>1. Is there anything I could, or should do about this?
>2. I have sent them 40 dollars worth of certified death
>certificates, sent them certified mail.  At what point does my
>responsibility to do this end?

Just ignore them. He's dead and you're not responsible for his child support.

jilly

If your deceased spouse has just started a job in Kentucky have you considered the possibility of identity theft?  You might want to get a credit report and see if there's been any activity.  If someone has stolen your husband's identity the joke is on them!  Bet they weren't counting on having child support taken out of their check! LOL

As for their comment that he has to be alive or else [they] wouldn't be taking child support out of his check....just goes to show you that the people employed at child support enforcement aren't the brightest bunch in the world.  Have you considered contacting someone higher up in government about this?  Hopefully there's somebody that can inject some common sense somewhere.  I know it's a stretch but hope springs eternal!

Just a couple of thoughts.

Soc: forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds.

whippertizzy

Thank you.

I just feel bad for whoever they are taking this from, and hope they have better luck straightening it out than I do.

Jilly- I have tried talking to EVERYONE, they just don't care.

Kent

I would call the media.
They usually jump right on government stupidity, especially when they think they can blame Bush for it.

I bet ya they'll find a way too...