Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 04:21:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Slater's Wife Not Charged For Vicious Assault

Started by Brent, Dec 12, 2003, 07:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

This makes me SICK. Would Chrisitian Slater have been let off if HE had viciously assaulted his wife with a glass, opening a gash on HER head that required 20 stitches to close? No, I don't think so. But she's a woman, and women don't commit domestic violence, so she gets off with no charges. Wonderful.

No Battery Charge for Slater's Wife in Las Vegas
Thu December 11, 2003 03:42 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Prosecutors have declined to bring charges against the wife of actor Christian Slater stemming from a bloody marital mishap in Las Vegas last month involving an airborne drinking glass and 20 stitches to the back of Slater's head.

The Clark County District Attorney closed its investigation of the incident without prosecuting Slater's spouse, Ryan Haddon, who police say hurled a glass at her husband during an argument at the Hard Rock Hotel on Nov. 10, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office said on Thursday.

Haddon was arrested and booked on a misdemeanor charge of domestic battery. She denied trying to hurt her husband, telling investigators the glass unintentionally slipped out of her hand when she went to throw water in his face while the two were joking around, said Michael Sommermeyer, a spokesman for the district attorney.

At the time of Haddon's arrest, police said that explanation lacked credibility because the glass struck Slater on the back of the head with such force that it opened a gash requiring 20 stitches to close.

According to police accounts, Slater himself initially told investigators Haddon threw the glass at him in anger but changed his story and declined to press charges when he realized his wife could end up in jail.

Sommermeyer said that in the end, prosecutors were "unable to determine if it was an accident or a deliberate act."

Slater, 34, whose film credits include "Broken Arrow," "Hard Rain" and "Windtalkers," married Haddon, a former TV producer, in February 2000.

He has had a number of his own brushes with the law, including a 90-day jail sentence in 1998 for slugging a girlfriend and biting a security officer in a drug- and alcohol-fueled brawl.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=peopleNews&storyID=3979568

StPaulieGirl

How much do you want to bet that Christian Slater declined to press charges?  Lol, an accident?  How do you accidently bean someone's head with a drinking glass?  She ought to pitch for the Dodgers....

Indigo Mom

the state is supposed to take over.  So many victims of dv fail to press charges.  The laws have changed because of that.  

It shouldn't matter that Mr. Rich doesn't want Mrs. Rich in jail.  The states supposed to toss her in the slammer because she committed an act of violence.

joni

"My mistakes do happen on a grand scale and very public level. They're humiliating, embarrassing. But if nothing bad happens to you, you'll just continue to act ridiculous." --Christian Slater, USA Today, December 14, 1997

Mar 14, 1998, The bad-boy actor slinked out of his suburban L.A. jail cell early Saturday morning, released after serving only 59 days of his three-month sentence for drug and battery charges.   Slater wound up back in the lockup on January 14, sentenced to serve time after melting down at a friend's party. The intoxicated Slater punched his girlfriend in the face, bit the host in the gut and wrestled cops until one grabbed him in a chokehold.  Slater pleaded no contest to the resulting battery and drug charges in December. (He also faces a lawsuit brought by one of the arresting officers who claims he was seriously hurt trying to subdue the actor at the party.)

StPaulieGirl

That's what I thought.  The rich and famous are different from you and me.

StPaulieGirl