Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 09:36:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wage garnishment unfair

Started by Jayson1974, Oct 15, 2004, 11:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayson1974

I am the father of a 9 year old boy.  I never married his mother, but I've spent as much time with the child as I could.  Mom has custody and I have visitation rights.  I also pay child support and must maintain health insurance coverage.  The papers state:  I must carry health insurance on him if my employer offers it at no cost or minimal cost.  My employer charges $350 for a dependent and I would not think that was minimal cost, but her lawyer sent them a letter and are making me pay it.  My employer called the court and was told that less than 50% of my check was minimal.  By the way, the custody papers state that medical expenses should be split 50/50.
It devestated me to have my check deducted an extra $350.  I've been paying support without complaint even though my son lived with me.  My old job had dependent insurance at a nominal fee.
Also, since Christmas break last year, my son has lived with me... at least until August 2004 when mom decided she would get more money from Child Services by having him back with her.  She is renting out his bedroom for extra money and he has to sleep (in the same bed) with his younger sister.  
I had changed jobs so I could spend more time with him.  He has his own bedroom, not only in my home, but in his grandparents home next door,- who are available as sitters when needed.
His mother has two other children who love to come over with my son because I spend time playing with them and in fun activities.
I have started the paperwork to have the custody changed and the support stopped.  But I fear I cannot make my bills until then with the high deduction from my check.
What I'd like to know is:  When it states "no cost or minimal cost" how can that be interpeted as $350?  My son  needs the insurance, but I feel we should both split the cost.  So far, it seems that I am footing the bill for everything!
She had a good paying job until she was caught in a compromising situation at work and fired.  I have little money and will take all the (good) advice you are willing to give me.
Thanks!
Jayson

StPaulieGirl

Are you saying 350.00 per week, or month?  Either way, it's a good chunk of change.  You must be living on Top Ramen :-(

I guess right now you can't do anything until your case is heard.  Have you posted this to Socrateaser's board?

Jayson1974

350. per payday which is twice a month.  It's the pits because I took a cut in pay to take this job so I could have evenings and weekends with my boy.  I'm working two jobs now.  I dont' understand the wording of those papers!  Minimal amount? $350?

Absurd.
Thanks for your comments.
Jayson

StPaulieGirl

That's 700 dollars a month on top of your child support payments.

Is there anything cheaper in the way of insurance?  This is for yourself and your son, right?  I remember when some law was passed stating that insurance benefits provided by the employer counted as taxable income against the employee.  My ex got socked.  We were married at the time.

I don't know how much he pays for himself and two dependents, but he recently switched to Blue Cross, which doubles my copays, and probably lowers his.  We have the usual 50/50 on copays, but I never hit him up for 5 bucks here, 20 bucks there. It was petty, imo.   However, the youngest needed fillings, so I asked him to take her to the dentist.  I think his share of cost was 160 dollars.  He and his wife then told CPS that I never took them to the doctor, among other bs misstatements.

Shop around while you're saving money for an attorney.  You might be able to find better coverage.  If she's on any kind of state assistance, you might be able to go through them.  Depends on your income.

patton

Call your state's insurance and ask what type of insurance you could get for a minimal fee for your son.  Most of hte state's insurnace are a LOT cheaper.