Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 17, 2024, 10:11:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Birth Certificate

Started by notthemama, Nov 10, 2005, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notthemama

My fiance was awarded primary residential of the two children from his first marriage in August 2005.  Prior they shared joint.

The ex-wife took all original legal documents (including birth certificates) at the time of the intial seperation/divorce.  My fiance asked for the birth certificates for the children from his ex-wife for a few reasons (the first is so that he could establish a savings account for the children).  She said her lawyer advised her that they should have their own copies of the birth certificates and he will need to get his own.

He feels that she should pay for half of the cost due to the fact she took the originals and he paid the original birth certificates.

Is it right to assume that she should help cover the cost? Or should he just bite the bullet and pay for it himself?

socrateaser

>Is it right to assume that she should help cover the cost?

A judgment of dissolution of marriage generally distributes all property between the parties. Thus if the ex-wife is in possession of the documents, she therefore owns them, regardless of who originally paid for them.

PS. Please observe mandatory forum guideline #10 or I won't respond in the future.