Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 04:53:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Divorcing a parent....

Started by dipper, Jan 20, 2006, 12:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dipper

Soc,

I was just wondering....there are three things keeping us from appealing....money, lazy lawyer (would he do any better)?, and the absolute monumental stress.

Well, one day after the court loss and 'I' call to tell BM that I will have to pick up son 2 hours late as we have one vehicle now and spouse is working.  She starts screaming that she has plans and if I cant be there by 4:00 dont come at all because she NEVER leaves 14 year old son alone (LIE) and slams the phone down.

My oldest calls her back and told her not to lie to him, his brother is left alone most of the time.....she says she is not going to discuss it, but she will leave son with a neighbor to be picked up.

Theatrics...on a constant basis Soc.

Legal Aid will not help because I dont have custody and they will ONLY help if someone is trying to take custody.  And I dont know if they will help son...but I was wondering..

Couldnt son 'divorce' his mother since he is being held against his will?

socrateaser

There is no such thing as divorcing a parent. There is termination of parental rights on clear and convincing proof that termination is in the child's best interests.

When a child petitions for a termination, through a custodial parent or guardian, the facts are usually that the other parent is a danger to the child, because of abuse, or the parent abandoned the child years ago and has never done anything to maintain any relationship, financial or emotional.

Your facts aren't even close to this. If you could prove that the other parent was the substantial cause of the kid's injuries, even though she wasn't the direct cause, that would do it, but based on your past posts, I don't think you can meet that burden of proof.

dipper

Soc,

I was just wondering....there are three things keeping us from appealing....money, lazy lawyer (would he do any better)?, and the absolute monumental stress.

Well, one day after the court loss and 'I' call to tell BM that I will have to pick up son 2 hours late as we have one vehicle now and spouse is working.  She starts screaming that she has plans and if I cant be there by 4:00 dont come at all because she NEVER leaves 14 year old son alone (LIE) and slams the phone down.

My oldest calls her back and told her not to lie to him, his brother is left alone most of the time.....she says she is not going to discuss it, but she will leave son with a neighbor to be picked up.

Theatrics...on a constant basis Soc.

Legal Aid will not help because I dont have custody and they will ONLY help if someone is trying to take custody.  And I dont know if they will help son...but I was wondering..

Couldnt son 'divorce' his mother since he is being held against his will?

socrateaser

There is no such thing as divorcing a parent. There is termination of parental rights on clear and convincing proof that termination is in the child's best interests.

When a child petitions for a termination, through a custodial parent or guardian, the facts are usually that the other parent is a danger to the child, because of abuse, or the parent abandoned the child years ago and has never done anything to maintain any relationship, financial or emotional.

Your facts aren't even close to this. If you could prove that the other parent was the substantial cause of the kid's injuries, even though she wasn't the direct cause, that would do it, but based on your past posts, I don't think you can meet that burden of proof.