Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 12:09:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Attorney "too busy"

Started by Hazel, Feb 13, 2006, 01:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazel

Hi Soc,

I am the defendant in a motion for rule to show cause.  The state is Illinois, and I currently live 900 miles away.  By the time I received the motion against me, I had only 3 business days to either get to Illinois to attend the hearing, or retain an attorney to appear in my absence.

I did manage to retain counsel, and she did appear in court at the appointed time.  This was 18 days ago, and I have not heard one word from her since then.  I have left messages and have spoken to her assistant.  The assistant only states that "court went well" and tells me not to worry about it.  The plaintiff has not dropped the charge and there is a new court date "sometime in March".

There have been 3 scheduled phone conferences with the attorney, but every single one was missed by her because she was "held up in court".  She appologizes profusely through her assistant, yet has done nothing to remedy the situation.  I realize that I am not her only client.  I am only looking for a 5 to 10 minute phone call to let me know where I stand.

My gut feeling is that perhaps she is too busy to handle my case, but it's possible that since the new court date isn't until March that it just isn't a priority for her.  I'm struggling with whether or not to continue on with her, or just make the break and find someone else - not an easy task from 900 miles away.

Are my expectations reasonable?

socrateaser

>Are my expectations reasonable?

Yes. Send a letter, certified mail, and ask what's up, and state that if she doesn't want your case, that she say so, and return any money advanced by you, and you will seek alternative legal representation.