Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 20, 2024, 05:13:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Reason for custody reversal?

Started by Miller, Feb 14, 2006, 06:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miller

I'm in IL.  I have sole legal and physical custody of my 11 year old son.  My son has liberal visitation with his father...EOW, one overnight through the week, lengthy period at Christmas, EO Spring Break, half of the extra days off school (i.e., M.L. King day), and alternate holidays.  We have been divorced for over 9 years.  There was not a custody battle back then, my ex signed the papers willingly.

As our son has gotten older, his expenses have also gone up.  We have never reviewed CS in all this time.  My ex had always threatened me that if I ever asked for more CS then he would file for custody.  Perhaps I shouldn't have, but I did file for a CS review last month mainly because our son's expenses really have increased.

Our son came home last night from spending the weekend with his dad and he was so upset.  It seems his dad was pressuring him to move over there.  Our son is so sensitive anyway and was up half the night with an upset stomach.  I can honestly say that my son and I have a strong bond and that he talks very openly with me.  He is a good student (A's and B's with an occasional C on his report card), particpates in several activities, has lots of friends, and is a happy little boy.

If my ex is able to brainwash our son against me, is that enough to overturn custody?

How much weight does the child's voice carry in a situation like this?

socrateaser

>If my ex is able to brainwash our son against me, is that
>enough to overturn custody?

Quite the remarkably argumentative question you pose. There are three express questions, and two others implied.

It makes my heart break for your kid.

The legal answer is that if the kid is happy and thriving in the current environment, then the court will not be particuarly interested in what the child wants, because the best interests of the child are already served by what the child is currently receiving.

So, you have nothing to worry about.

Happy Valentine's Day.