Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 01:27:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dealing with the BM lawyers

Started by Bradley, Apr 01, 2006, 04:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bradley

In Texas... BM, the custodial parent has recently requested, that all questions, request for reimbursment, letters etc be sent to by my lawyer to her lawyer. I do not feel as if hiring a lawyer for communication purposes is necessary and have sent the such letters myself to her lawyer explaining my position on hirirng a lawyer.
What should I be concerned with in dealing with her lawyer myself?

If the BM's lawyer knows that I am representing myself, can he somehow get the judge to sign modifications or documents without my knowledge?

Anything else I should watch out or do incompliance with the representing yourself rules?

I hope this makes sense...
Thanks

socrateaser

>In Texas... BM, the custodial parent has recently requested,
>that all questions, request for reimbursment, letters etc be
>sent to by my lawyer to her lawyer. I do not feel as if hiring
>a lawyer for communication purposes is necessary and have sent
>the such letters myself to her lawyer explaining my position
>on hirirng a lawyer.
>What should I be concerned with in dealing with her lawyer
>myself?

Only that if you receive any advice from opposing counsel, you should ignore it, because the other attorney has a duty solely to his/her client, and not to you.

>
>If the BM's lawyer knows that I am representing myself, can he
>somehow get the judge to sign modifications or documents
>without my knowledge?

No.

>
>Anything else I should watch out or do incompliance with the
>representing yourself rules?

First, you have no obligation to communicate only with her attorney, because you are a party to the case. Only attorneys are obligated to communicate with each other and not contact parties directly.

But, if you do communicate with the attorney, it could work to your advantage, because there will be an audit trail of all correspondence. Just make certain that you communicate only in writing, because I can assure you that whenever the attorney talks to you over the phone, he/she will have a very vague memory of anything agreed to that does not advance his/her client's best interests.

4honor

Question: Is a notice of appearance required for this person, as they are Pro Se?
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

socrateaser

>Question: Is a notice of appearance required for this person,
>as they are Pro Se?

The poster's facts indicate that the other parent wants him to deal with her attorney in the future. There is no indication that any litigation is pending.

Were litigation pending, and the poster unrepresented, then he would need to inform the court that he is acting pro se and his contact information would be entered as self represented, rather than with info as to his attorney of record.

So, the direct answer to your question is "I don't know." But, it appears not.

Bradley

No current case in progress. The other lawyer states that he will not respond to my letters unless I send him a letter of no lawyer..
Right now we are communicating over payments due by the CP for doctor bills, extended summer visitation, etc... really no need for a lawyer...

WHat if things get out of my control pro-se.. can I change my mind if anything does go to court? say if the CP wants to put in some modifications?

socrateaser

>No current case in progress. The other lawyer states that he
>will not respond to my letters unless I send him a letter of
>no lawyer..
>Right now we are communicating over payments due by the CP for
>doctor bills, extended summer visitation, etc... really no
>need for a lawyer...
>
>WHat if things get out of my control pro-se.. can I change my
>mind if anything does go to court? say if the CP wants to put
>in some modifications?

Yes.