Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 01:35:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Child Support- Overpayments

Started by awaitingjustice, Apr 07, 2006, 01:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awaitingjustice

quick question- I hope- have you ever heard of any state doing this?  My child support is through NJ court order, but is collected in TX where I now live.  I had some arrears to pay- and did so- they were paid in full about 2 months ago.  The new WRIT of witholding only just went out last week- and has not yet been put into place- thus I have been overpaying for going on 3 months.  The sum is not large, but it is still an overpay- roughly 200.00 at this point.  I asked NJ to tell me how to recoup this overpayment. They are not wanting to do it.  They are willing to go back, audit my account, talk to TX and then let me know- but clearly by the telephone conversation they do not want to help me get the overpayment back.  Is this normal?  Do you know of a process I can use on my own to recoup these monies...I feel very upset that the system is not willing to help me get back my monies that they took from my paycheck, but if the CP was owed the money I am thinking they would be more than willing to go after the sum- no matter what it was.  They actually suggested I call my ex and just ask her to pay me back the money she was over paid- my ex will not even speak to me- let alone cut me a check.  Just wanted some insight from you- Thanks

awaitingjustice

sorry- got carried away

The question is  Is there a way to go about recouping monies from overpayment of child support in the state of New Jersey? (The child support is paid through TX)

The facts as they are now are that I have overpaid, through payroll deduction, approx 200.00 and would like to recoup this money.  New Jersey CS does not seem able or willing to do this.

NJCS suggested that I simply call and ask my ex to pay me back.  That does not seem possible in my case due to lack of communication between us.

(I hope this is better- and I apologize for not rereading the guidelines since my last post- many months ago- Thanks!)

socrateaser

>sorry- got carried away

facts first, then question.

>The facts as they are now are that I have overpaid, through
>payroll deduction, approx 200.00 and would like to recoup this
>money.  New Jersey CS does not seem able or willing to do
>this.

>The question is  Is there a way to go about recouping monies
>from overpayment of child support in the state of New Jersey?
>(The child support is paid through TX)

You can ask TX CS to recalculate your obligation going forward, based on an order not transmitted timely and the resulting overpayment. They should communicate with NJ and give you credit for the overpayment.

I use the word "should" because this almost never happens. You will be ignored until you give up. The only real way to get your money is ask your ex to pay you back first, and then if she refuses, file a motion in NJ family court to have the court recalculate your support obligation and order her to reimburse you for the over payments.

Obviously, for $200, it's hardly worth the hassle.

awaitingjustice

Thanks- sorry I still got those guidelines wrong- thank you for answering anyway- I'm trying to do too much- and exhausted today-

I was thinking the same thing re 'not worth it' but wasn't sure if that was me being tired or me being rational- it is all a blur this week-

Thanks for some 3rd party insight- it all makes sense.

Have a great weekend!