Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 01:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Update - Ohio custody

Started by jeffro123, Apr 20, 2006, 07:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffro123

Soc:

Just to refresh. I am the man from Ohio that had court scheduled for Friday.  The BM is alienating the BF but I am winning the court appointed evals.  We had a home study which recommended me at the residential parent.  My fear was what would happen in court.  Well, I am not going to court.  It seems the court allowed her to come up with $2500 to have a complete psych eval.  They also said that custody changes back to me when school is out for the year and she gets Standard Order visitation.  They only gave her 2 weeks of summer vacation vs. the 4 in Standard Order.  Our next court date now is Aug 23rd.

1.  Why does the court allow this to go on?  When divorced I had to do the psych and the GAL both.  

2.  Does the home study and psych carry the same weight?  If I were to lose the psych (which I hope I dont) and won the home study, what will the court do then?

3.  How often does a psych and home study differ?

And yes... I am very upset and disappointed in the judicial process as well as my ex for continuing this mess!!  

socrateaser

>1.  Why does the court allow this to go on?  When divorced I
>had to do the psych and the GAL both.  

I don't have enough facts about the chronology of events in your case, so I can't really say how the court came to its findings and conclusions, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Most people would kill for a ruling as favorable as what you have received.

>
>2.  Does the home study and psych carry the same weight?  If I
>were to lose the psych (which I hope I dont) and won the home
>study, what will the court do then?

There is no "losing" a psychological evaluation. The objective of the court is to act in the child's best interests, and generally that means having two involved parents. If you object to everything that the court orders, the judge will become wary of your motives (child's interests v. alienating other parent), and the judge could turn against you (judges aren't supposed to take sides, but they frequently get annoyed by parties who appear to be wasting the court's time).

The system isn't perfect -- in fact, it sucks. But, unless you can get your state legislature to change the system, then you're stuck with it, so you may as well try to work within it.

>3.  How often does a psych and home study differ?

Irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what occurs in your case -- not the probability of what has happend in thousands of other cases.

mango

Jeffro,

This will seem odd, but could you give me the name of your evaluator? We are in Ohio, and looking at the possibility of a psych evals to reveal the PAS in our situation, and our concern is we get one of those evaluators that doesn't believe in PAS.

The last one we had several years ago, revealed the psychosis of the BM, and the shockingly went middle of the road for the outcome. I have heard (by our therapist) some do that to keep the lawyers happy.

jeffro123

Pls feel free to email me at [email protected].  I have not received the court order for the psych.  Also, this is in Dayton, Ohio.. actually Greene county.

jeffro123

Soc:

Just to refresh. I am the man from Ohio that had court scheduled for Friday.  The BM is alienating the BF but I am winning the court appointed evals.  We had a home study which recommended me at the residential parent.  My fear was what would happen in court.  Well, I am not going to court.  It seems the court allowed her to come up with $2500 to have a complete psych eval.  They also said that custody changes back to me when school is out for the year and she gets Standard Order visitation.  They only gave her 2 weeks of summer vacation vs. the 4 in Standard Order.  Our next court date now is Aug 23rd.

1.  Why does the court allow this to go on?  When divorced I had to do the psych and the GAL both.  

2.  Does the home study and psych carry the same weight?  If I were to lose the psych (which I hope I dont) and won the home study, what will the court do then?

3.  How often does a psych and home study differ?

And yes... I am very upset and disappointed in the judicial process as well as my ex for continuing this mess!!  

socrateaser

>1.  Why does the court allow this to go on?  When divorced I
>had to do the psych and the GAL both.  

I don't have enough facts about the chronology of events in your case, so I can't really say how the court came to its findings and conclusions, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Most people would kill for a ruling as favorable as what you have received.

>
>2.  Does the home study and psych carry the same weight?  If I
>were to lose the psych (which I hope I dont) and won the home
>study, what will the court do then?

There is no "losing" a psychological evaluation. The objective of the court is to act in the child's best interests, and generally that means having two involved parents. If you object to everything that the court orders, the judge will become wary of your motives (child's interests v. alienating other parent), and the judge could turn against you (judges aren't supposed to take sides, but they frequently get annoyed by parties who appear to be wasting the court's time).

The system isn't perfect -- in fact, it sucks. But, unless you can get your state legislature to change the system, then you're stuck with it, so you may as well try to work within it.

>3.  How often does a psych and home study differ?

Irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what occurs in your case -- not the probability of what has happend in thousands of other cases.

mango

Jeffro,

This will seem odd, but could you give me the name of your evaluator? We are in Ohio, and looking at the possibility of a psych evals to reveal the PAS in our situation, and our concern is we get one of those evaluators that doesn't believe in PAS.

The last one we had several years ago, revealed the psychosis of the BM, and the shockingly went middle of the road for the outcome. I have heard (by our therapist) some do that to keep the lawyers happy.

jeffro123

Pls feel free to email me at [email protected].  I have not received the court order for the psych.  Also, this is in Dayton, Ohio.. actually Greene county.