Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:40:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Foreign policy of the Heinz (as in John Kerry's wife) Companies

Started by joni, Oct 18, 2004, 08:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathy

if it solidifies your opinion FOR Bush, or AGAINST Bush?

Kitty C.

Against, of course!  Packing a Supreme Court with a bunch of right-wing conservatives is NOT in the best interests of this country, especially right now.  The Supreme Court must be as close to neutral as possible, so you have to have a balance among the nine justices.  Throwing that balance off can have disasterous effects on us all.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

joni

The concept of macro economics is tedious....but you made some valid points here....our country is struggling with poverty, we need to build our rural areas, many businesses go out of business in our own backyard because of outdated technology, how many of our own citizens have little to no resources or skills?  The point is we're not taking care of our own.

Other countries do a much better job of taking care of their own.  Their economy is strong because they live off of their own manufactured goods, they don't allow imports and if they do, they tax the crap of the import so it doesn't eclipse their own manufactured items in selling price.

Do you honestly believe that Heinz opened foreign plants to reinvest in foreign economies?  Come on!  Heinz opened these plants because the foreign country would not make it economically feasible for them to sell their items because of tariffs.  We have an open door for free trade.  We don't get the same in return.  

To avoid the tariffs that other countries impose on us, hell, just open a plant in the foreign country and close a few in our own putting how many Americans out of business?  Hey...the US allows imports and it's so cheap to manufacturer this stuff in China or Mexico, let's just close down some more US plants and then import our own stuff back into the US.  Need customer phone service?  Let's open some offices in Canada ($.65 cents on the US dollar for labor) and India ($.10 cents on the US dollar for labor).

I have no problem with rich people.  When our child support obligation is finished and we stop having legal battles over visitation and custody, I will be a rich person.  I hate the hypocrisy of politics and when I listen to the contender going on and on about what the current administration is doing wrong in this regard and his wife's investment inheritance has done the same thing, what credibility does he have?  Nada.  So I say to Heinz-Kerry, if you support your husband's platform, sell the rest of your investment and get up on the soapbox and say to your contingents, I'm embarrassed that Heinz has taken away US jobs and I won't make any more money off of it.  It's a conflict of interest.  

joni

How do people making over $200,000 a year benefit so much?  First, they're in the highest tax percentage bracket.  Also, you get no childcare benefit or child tax credit because it's phased out.  Also, you begin to lose your exemptions and those diminish.  Your Schedule A items....you don't get the full deduction for these and that how you wind up paying 50% of your income in tax.  School loans?  Forget about, you don't get that interest deduction because you lost that the minute you earned over $100,000.  

cathy

Nope, do not believe that for a minute - not the Heinz cooperation itself.  First and foremost, they are a company and their purpose is to make money for its investors.

I was saying it is an INTERNATIONAL company.  They sell their products everywhere, and I believe that more than half their sales are outside of the US.  So how is it taking "US jobs"?  You think they should ONLY produce their product in the US and sell it everywhere else?

And once again - it is NOT Heinz-Kerry's company.  She inherited less than 4% of the company.  This certainly isn't enough to even remotely think that SHE personally makes the decisions for this company.

Again - you are comparing apples and oranges.  This is NOT what is being criticized.

cathy

I have learned not to make assumptions - - - - and yeah, the thought that you meant you supported those ideas was verrrrry scarey!

I'm sure probably 99.9% of us are in the same boat - really wanting a candidate we can vote FOR, rather than just voting AGAINST.

MYSONSDAD

I could give a shit less about the money, I stand on principles. Her husband is running for President, our economy sucks. Our work force is going down the toilet...

An effort to keep American jobs here should be at the forefront.
ENOUGH SAID.

Could you survive on unemployment or the minimum wage?
That is what is going to happen with so many companies looking for different turf. How many have already left?

"Children learn what they live"

joni

I was thinking of making the reference back to the old Dick Van Dyke show of to never assume because you make an ASS out of U and ME.  

--I'm sure probably 99.9% of us are in the same boat - really wanting a candidate we can vote FOR, rather than just voting AGAINST.--

http://badnarik.org

MYSONSDAD

I vote for neither, their not 'worthy'

They are not the only canidates on the ballot...

MYSONSDAD

Nice......