Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 03:20:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Help with court acronym

Started by Hazel, May 16, 2006, 06:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazel

Dear Soc,

I had a contempt charge filed against me in January 06 regarding college support for my 19 year old daughter.  Although the charge was completely without merit, the opposing counsel has remained steadfast and unwilling to negotiate for the past 4 months.

The case has not yet gone to court.  Instead, a pre trial conference was held yesterday.  Coincidentally, the child's final semester grades were also released yesterday, and the child's GPA has dropped to a 1.72.  The signed agreement clearly states that if child fails to maintain a GPA of 2.0, the agreement becomes null and void.

I've not been able to reach my attorney to find anything out about the pretrial conference, however it states on the county's website the following:  "Agreed Order to be submitted OTC"

1)  What does "OTC" mean?

2)  In the event that "OTC" means the judge wants to send the case to mediation, can I refuse this?

3)  I am assuming that since a trial date was not set at the PTC that the contempt charge has been proven invalid.  Is this a safe assumption?

Thanks so much,
Hazel

socrateaser

>1)  What does "OTC" mean?

I don't know. We don't use that acronym where I come from. Probably "Outside of Trial Conference."

The important thing is that the attorneys have reported back that there was an agreement between the parties, which you now suggest is invalid because of the child's falling GPA. This means you must now try to negotiate something else.

>
>2)  In the event that "OTC" means the judge wants to send the
>case to mediation, can I refuse this?

You can, but you'll be viewed as uncooperative.
>
>3)  I am assuming that since a trial date was not set at the
>PTC that the contempt charge has been proven invalid.  Is this
>a safe assumption?

No. The judge probably suggested in chambers that the attorneys try to work it out.

Hazel

I heard from my attorney last night.  Looks like it's going to be over!  Apparently at the pre trial hearing on Monday, the judge said that if she didn't get a 2.0 he was going to pull the plug on the whole deal.  Since she got a 1.72, that's it.  It's done.  

The fat lady still needs to sing, so no big celebrations yet, but my attorney strongly believes that once opposing counsel gets those grades in her hands she'll drop the whole thing like a hot potato.  In the final analysis, the CP is walking away with nothing other than thousands of dollars in attorney's fees.  All for no reason other than that she thought she was going to "teach me a lesson" by filing a contempt motion because I refused to jump through her hoops... After so many years of this nonsense, it's an incredible feeling to finally be free.

Thanks for everything, Soc.  I wish you all the best.