Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 11:31:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

question on wording

Started by thesmithfamily_5, May 17, 2006, 05:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesmithfamily_5

Dear Soc,

I'm the non custodial dad to 2 boys. I'm getting them this summer & I'd like to take them to see a councelor or in therapy, something. Their mom has the exclusive right to consent to psychiatric and psycological treatment of the children. I was wondering,

1. If I could get Mom to sign a "permission slip" allowing me to consent to treatment, would that satisfy the doctor's need for the mom's permission?

2. Should it be worded in any certain way or just take it from the context of the divorce decree (i.e., I Mom, the mother  & sole managing conservator to Son1 and Son2, do give my consent to Dad, the father and posessory conservator to phychiatric and phycological treatment of the children.)? somehow that doesn't sound right.....

Thanks for any help!

socrateaser

>Dear Soc,
>
>I'm the non custodial dad to 2 boys. I'm getting them this
>summer & I'd like to take them to see a councelor or in
>therapy, something. Their mom has the exclusive right to
>consent to psychiatric and psycological treatment of the
>children. I was wondering,
>
>1. If I could get Mom to sign a "permission slip" allowing me
>to consent to treatment, would that satisfy the doctor's need
>for the mom's permission?

Probably not, but it would be up to the physician/therapist to decide. The only document that would be clearly sufficient, other than a court order, is a power of attorney (POA), granting you authority to sign on the other parent's behalf with respect to the child's reasonable healthcare.

If you will have the kids for the entire summer, you should probably have a POA, anyway, so maybe you can use that as an excuse to get mom to sign one.

>
>2. Should it be worded in any certain way or just take it from
>the context of the divorce decree (i.e., I Mom, the mother  &
>sole managing conservator to Son1 and Son2, do give my consent
>to Dad, the father and posessory conservator to phychiatric
>and phycological treatment of the children.)? somehow that
>doesn't sound right.....

Every state has wording for a POA that is generally required to make the document lawful. You can probably find one at //www.uslegalforms.com for your state.