Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 02:22:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

6 year old has cel phone to talk with CP during visitation time.

Started by 416021va, Jun 05, 2006, 05:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

416021va

My State is Virginia, the child's State is Florida.

The CP bought the child a cel phone about a year ago so that CP could talk directly with the child without speaking to me and vice versa.

You might think that this is a good idea, and I did to. However, something has made me a bit uneasy about this. I could not quite put my finger on it, but CP seems to always have a deeper darker purpose then can be seen on the surface.

I do respect my child's privacy, but child always comes back to me feeling blue after talking to CP.

With my landline, I can at least document how many times CP has disturbed visitation per day.

Quite honestly, the child's cel phone does not seem to be condusive to "good visitation time" with me.

Do I have to continue to allow the child to use his cel phone during visitation time with me?

Thanks

socrateaser

>Do I have to continue to allow the child to use his cel phone
>during visitation time with me?

Well, technically the phone is not yours, it's the other parent's, so, you can't take the phone away. But, you have a duty to reasonably supervise the child while in your care, so to that extent you can temporarily restrain the child's use for the visitation period.

I'm fairly certain that your actions will be like a red cape in front of a bull, but, you can do it.

notnew

Couldn't he have the child call mom at appropriate time once or twice during the day and then leave the phone turned off the rest of the time?  I certainly can understand that a 6 YO would want to talk to mom or dad at least once per day, however, a cell phone making access 24/7 is unreasonable. Personally, I think it is crazy that she has had it for a year already. Mom is setting up for a VERY demanding teenager IMHO.

What do you think about that Soc?  That way, calls wouldn't be coming in at inappropriate or inconvenient time and child won't have to feel like she has to "be available" anytime the phone rings or suffer the wrath of an angry and questioning parent.

He could send her a letter letting her know his plan in advance, maybe?

socrateaser

Yes, like I said, the parent can reasonably restrain the child's use of the phone under common law principles of child supervision. Providing advance notice would be a good plan.