Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 10:35:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Housekeeping Monthly 13 May 1955

Started by Bolivar, Oct 27, 2004, 02:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolivar

From Housekeeping Monthly   13 May 1955                                  

THE GOOD WIFE'S GUIDE

•   Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking of him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

•   Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

•   Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it for him.

•   Clear away the clutter. Make one more trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.

•   Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper etc. and then run a dustcloth over the tables.

•   Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. You husband will fell he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

•   Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

•   Be happy to see him.

•   Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

•   Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first – remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

•   Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

•   Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

•   Don't greet him with complaints and problems.

•   Don't complain if he comes late for dinner, or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

•   Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

•   Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

•   Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

•   A good wife always knows her place.  

msme

You never get a second chance to make a first impression!

janM

Not sure if this makes you want to laugh or cry....:-)

MYSONSDAD

Oh, I was so in need of a good laugh! Thank You!

What would the womens libbers say?

"Children learn what they live"

FLMom

>From Housekeeping Monthly   13 May 1955                      
>          
>
>                            THE GOOD WIFE'S GUIDE
>
>
>•   Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to
>have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a
>way of letting him know that you have been thinking of him and
>are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they
>come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his
>favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

I've loooked in the fridge. We either have mac and cheese and hot dogs or you're taking us out, hun.
>
>•   Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be
>refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon
>in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot
>of work-weary people.

I've been up since 4am. All I need is a 15 min nap and I'll be refreshed as the spring rain.
>
>•   Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His
>boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to
>provide it for him.

I would have been more interesting if I'd gotten that nap but the youngest had a school project he's known about for two weeks and just told me it's due tomorrow.
>
>•   Clear away the clutter. Make one more trip through the main
>part of the house just before your husband arrives.

Clutter? Define clutter. If I pick it up and put it somewhere it'll be crucially important when we can't find it tomorrow.
>
>•   Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper etc. and then run a
>dustcloth over the tables.

Dustcloth? How bout I just blow the animal hair off of the tables? Yeah, looks better.
>
>•   Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and
>light a fire for him to unwind by. You husband will fell he
>has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a
>lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you
>with immense personal satisfaction.

Darn, the fireplace is still full of the ashes from last year. Kids have used ash bucket as the base for a bike ramp.
>
>•   Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the
>children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their
>hair and, if necessary, change their clothes. Minimize all
>noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the
>washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be
>quiet.

I'd prepare the kids if I could find them. Two are at the neighbor's down the road, and we have to go pick up the third from soccer practice. Yes hun, I'm aware it's a two hour rountrip drive cause the school is in ex's district.
>
>•   Be happy to see him.

I love you my handsome hubby! Will you drive??
>
>•   Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your
>desire to please him.

Smooch! OK, I'll drive.
>
>•   Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell
>him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him
>talk first – remember, his topics of conversation are more
>important than yours.

I'm gonna give him the first 10 minutes, then he won't BELIEVE when I tell him what the ex has pulled THIS time!
>
>•   Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late
>or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment
>without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain
>and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

The evening is yours, hun. You get to decide--Mickey D's or KFC?
>
>•   Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace,
>order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in
>body and spirit.

There's always the porch.
>
>•   Don't greet him with complaints and problems.

Mental note- Hide the bills that came today in the cupboard.
>
>•   Don't complain if he comes late for dinner, or even if he
>stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he
>might have gone through that day.

Sure hun, come home when you want. By the way, did I tell you the gals want me to go to Biloxi this weekend? You can handle the house while I'm gone, right?
>
>•   Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable
>chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm
>drink ready for him.

Mental note. Remember to wash cushions where kids spilt Kool-Aid. Sorry bout that white dress shirt hun.
>
>•   Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in
>a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

Yeah, the Kool-Aid got the pillow too. Sorry.
>
>•   Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his
>judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house
>and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and
>truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

Even the dogs know I'm the alpha.
>
>•   A good wife always knows her place.  

I think my place is in the van.
>

msme

You made it even funnier. LOLROTFLMAO

Keep it up. If I can keep LMAO, I just might get skinny, since that's my BIGGEST problem. LOL

You never get a second chance to make a first impression!

kitten

I did all this and he still divorced me!  LOL!

StPaulieGirl

Just throw in some ultra superstitious Irish Catholicism, and you're toast!

I did it all according to the intstructions, and he'd STILL find something to carp about.

If I had a husband, I'd like to read Dr. Laura's book about the care and feeding of husbands.  It's probably not too different from this article.

kitten

I have the book and have read some of it.  If you really knew me personally, you'd be SHOCKED that I have it let alone have actually read some of it.  It's not what you think!  She addresses the issue of "entitlement" that alot of women feel.  I have been guilty of this myself.  "The proper care and Feeding of Husbands" teaches women that men have feelings too and that you can't expect your husband to want to make love to you, help with dinner, fix your car etc if you are bitchy and naggy all the time.  If he was just a d!ck all the time, we wouldn't want to do things for him either.  It really has helped me learn to deal with relationships better.

StPaulieGirl

Hehehee, I'm not shocked.  In fact I'm rather curious about some of the books that she's written.  I'm trying to explain the bitchy naggy thing to my daughter and presumable son in law.  Both of them do it, and it leaves me exhausted.  She has a small excuse...she's almost 8 months pregnant.  

Maybe I should buy those books.