Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 19, 2024, 03:34:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Soc - Where can I find case law for family law not just appeals?

Started by 416021va, Aug 07, 2006, 06:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

416021va

Soc, I am trying to find case law specifically pertaining to family law. Everytime I google something, or use "findlaw", the best that I can do find appeals.

How do I get caselaw that is specific to a State (I don't reside in that State so I can't just walk into the court) or even a circuit court/judge?

My questions are as follows:

1) How do I get caselaw that is specific to a State or even a circuit court?

Thanks again Soc.

socrateaser

>Soc, I am trying to find case law specifically pertaining to
>family law. Everytime I google something, or use "findlaw",
>the best that I can do find appeals.
>
>How do I get caselaw that is specific to a State (I don't
>reside in that State so I can't just walk into the court) or
>even a circuit court/judge?
>
>My questions are as follows:
>
>1) How do I get caselaw that is specific to a State or even a
>circuit court?

There is no database of decisions from individual state trial court judges. The only way to obtain such info is to sit in the court file room, bring up recent case files and read them. It's easier to just sit in the courtroom and observe the judge in your case. You will quickly discover that judge's general point of view.

Also, a trial court decision is only binding precedent for the judge who made the decision. And, good luck holding the judge to a prior decision where the facts differ by the smallest amount.

As for state appellate case law, the most reasonably priced service, in my opinion is //www.versuslaw.com ($13.95 per month). All of the important family law opinions for every state can be obtained from this source (and, no I don't work for them).

416021va

Soc, I am trying to find case law specifically pertaining to family law. Everytime I google something, or use "findlaw", the best that I can do find appeals.

How do I get caselaw that is specific to a State (I don't reside in that State so I can't just walk into the court) or even a circuit court/judge?

My questions are as follows:

1) How do I get caselaw that is specific to a State or even a circuit court?

Thanks again Soc.

socrateaser

>Soc, I am trying to find case law specifically pertaining to
>family law. Everytime I google something, or use "findlaw",
>the best that I can do find appeals.
>
>How do I get caselaw that is specific to a State (I don't
>reside in that State so I can't just walk into the court) or
>even a circuit court/judge?
>
>My questions are as follows:
>
>1) How do I get caselaw that is specific to a State or even a
>circuit court?

There is no database of decisions from individual state trial court judges. The only way to obtain such info is to sit in the court file room, bring up recent case files and read them. It's easier to just sit in the courtroom and observe the judge in your case. You will quickly discover that judge's general point of view.

Also, a trial court decision is only binding precedent for the judge who made the decision. And, good luck holding the judge to a prior decision where the facts differ by the smallest amount.

As for state appellate case law, the most reasonably priced service, in my opinion is //www.versuslaw.com ($13.95 per month). All of the important family law opinions for every state can be obtained from this source (and, no I don't work for them).