Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 03:30:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SMOKING WITH TODDLER IN HOME...... PLEASE HELP

Started by papaalex2003, Nov 05, 2004, 12:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papaalex2003

I have anothe question that has to do with the current situation of my little girl. I'm curious to know if there are any new laws or motions going on when it has to do with keeping smoking in the house with a child in it. My lil girl lives with 5 smokers. Like I had said before she is only 3 now. She shares a room with her mom who also smokes in the room. Everytime i pick her up all I smell is smoke. I never usd to say anything because I used o smoke in the past. But I never smoked in the house. I am beginning to notice that she is beginning to have accefts from all the smoke. Although I have insurance for her. DO i have the right to get info about her medical record from her doctor. There is no court order saying I can't, and can anything be done when I file for paternity rights. It kills me inside to see her hating the smoke and not being ale to do anything about it. i'M IN fLORIDA IF THAT HELPS AS FAR AS COURTS.

wendl

http://ash.org/kids.html

http://www.ash.org/custody-and-smoking.html

http://www.forces.org/disgust/files/ash.htm

http://ash.org/kids/custodyloss.html

I got these of the resource section under TBG's links

MYSONSDAD

In the State of Illinois it is a form of child abuse. Check your state statues. I would also recommend doing some searches with the AMA and other medical communities and print out their findings.

You should have every right to check her records. I would also update all information about yourself, you listed as father and all numbers where you can be reached.

equal_rights

I am in Illinois and second hand smoke has affected my child greatly, being exposed to it every day.  His clothes hands and hair often smell of smoke whenever I pick him up.  I was unaware that the state viewed second hand smoke as child abuse.  Can you tell me more about this.  Any links or personal knowledge you could give would be greatly appreciated.  If you could email me or post any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

MYSONSDAD

Smoking and Custody

NEW -- Links on Smoking and Custody, TGB LINKS

Custody and Smoking Report - from ASH
Smoking as Child Abuse - At Least 15 States Cracking Down on Smoking Parents
Article - Smokers May Lose Custody of Children as a Result of New Study
Children and Smoking - Links
Lots of good articles and links

http://www.no-smoking.org/august00/08-09-00-2.html

http://www.forces.org/disgust/files/ash.htm

http://ash.org/kids/kentucky.html

I found it in the State Statues, or it could have been in the TGB Links posted by State. I have it printed out, but would have to find it for the url.

Hope these help!

"Children learn what they live"

MYSONSDAD

I came across the abuse in Illinois about two years ago. Did not save it because neither me or my PBFH smoke. But her boyfriend does. I will keep searching. This is something I found that may help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday July 14 5:59 PM EDT
Company Press Release
Source: Action on Smoking and Health
ASH: Parental Smoking Kills 6,200 Kids Each Year and Costs $8.2 Billion; But Law Is Finally Beginning to Crack Down on Major Form of Child Abuse; At Least Fifteen States Will Take Away Custody if Necessary to Protect Kids
WASHINGTON, July 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) issued the following:

A new study shows that parental smoking each year kills at least 6,200 children, causes 5.4 million serious ailments such as ear infection and asthma, costs $4.6 billion annually in medical expenses alone, and ultimately costs the American economy $8.2 billion annually.

``More young children are killed by parental smoking than by all unintentional injuries combined,'' the researchers said in the July issue of the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.

But states are finally beginning to provide protection against what some have called the most prevalent form of child abuse, say law professor John Banzhaf, Executive Director of Action on Smoking and Health (ASH).

In at least the fifteen states where the issue has been raised, courts have held that it is appropriate to consider whether a parent smokes around a child in determining whether they should be awarded custody, says Banzhaf.

``Most cases are resolved with the court entering an order prohibiting the parent from smoking around the child -- or sometimes even within the home or car -- sometimes for as long as 2 days before the child's arrival.''

In cases where parents refuse to agree, or violate a court's no-smoking order, parents can and have in fact lost custody, he says.

And, in one of the most encouraging developments of all, the same protection against smoking in the home is beginning to be extended to children not involved in divorce and other proceedings where custody is an issue.

Increasingly it is possible for others concerned with the welfare of a child -- i.e., a doctor, a school nurse, a grandparent, or even a neighbor -- to file a complaint of suspected child abuse, neglect, or endangerment where smoking in the presence of the child creates a significant health risk.

This could occur where the child has asthma, hay fever, allergies, sinusitis, or other conditions which make them especially susceptible to tobacco smoke, says Banzhaf. Even recurrent ear infections might provide the basis for such a complaint, he says. At least three parents he knows about have lost custody of children because of complaints from outside the home.

This report, and others like it, are likely to trigger even more complaints, and provide additional basis for action by courts and by child welfare authorities. Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) helped develop the legal theories under which smoking can be raised as an issue in child custody disputes or in child abuse, neglect, or endangerment situations. It has participated or assisted in a number of those proceedings, and debated the legal and other issues in a number of forums.

States which have rules that parental smoking around a child may be considered in custody proceedings include: California, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOURCE: Action on Smoking and Health
Contact: John Banzhaf of Action on Smoking and Health, 202-659-4310 or 703-527-8418
More news for related industries: healthcare, tobacco.

emitone

where should i look for this information for the state of tx
the mother of my 16 week old daughter smokes in the same room as my daughter when she is there
as well as in the car around my daughter and her 5 year old

MYSONSDAD

Go into the search area on this site, at the top, TGB Links to Texas should come up with something to help. They have added a new section on Smoking.

I also would do a google search for Texas, include smoking and children.

Something like, "Child Abuse and smoking, Texas"

A previous post included several links to Ash.org. Many good articles there.

StPaulieGirl

You "never" smoked in the house?  No offense, but I've found that reformed smokers are the worst when it comes to the rest of us who haven't been able to kick the habit yet.  We're the new pariahs.

I have a question.  Did your 3 yr old come to you and discuss her dislike of cigarette smoke all on her own?  Be honest.  My ex's mother smoked until the bitter end.  He never had a problem with me smoking cigarettes throughout our entire marriage.  For him to all of a sudden have a problem with cigarettes would be just like him.....completely dishonest.

What kind of affects from the smoke are you talking about?  Is this all you can nail your ex with?  I guess your relationship with your child's mother is such that you can't suggest that she blow the smoke out the window :(

MYSONSDAD

5 smokers in the house is nothing to sneeze at. Why should this child suffer for the bad habits of others. If someone wants a cigarette and there is a child present, take it outside.

My parents smoke, but they have enough respect for me and their grandchild not to expose him to something that has been proven so incredibly harmful. There are hundreds of articles on the harm of smoking and secondhand smoke. Probably why there is so many now who suffer from respiratory problems.

My son would pay the price...