Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 12:56:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Listen to Glenn Sacks this Sunday....new campaign to be announced

Started by joni, Nov 05, 2004, 08:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msme

My letter is posted on Glen's site & they are going to read it tonight.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression!

Peanutsdad

Glen has a built in email verizon doodad on his site,, I've already sent mine.

Kitty C.

Where, msme?  I looked on both sites and not sure where to find it........
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Bolivar

It only takes 1 minute!!!!

On the right side of the screen is "Take Action". Click on it and a short form letter is created. I embellished it slightly.

Look how humiliating the Verizon's Ad  is towards the father.

http://www.hisside.com/verizon_campaign.htm

anti father ad must be stopped.

I sent my email, have you sent yours?!?!?!?!?

"I believe that such anti-father messages are harmful to our sons and daughters, and I respectfully request that you withdraw this commercial. "

Msme Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!! for getting Glenn Sacks from "His Side" involved.   May you get everything you want for X-mas!!!! :-)

Kitty C.

Great letter, msme!!!!!!!!!!

I sent the form letter, but with a closing 'slightly' different:

Kitty C., a bio-mom, a step-mom, and a child who thought her father was and IS the smartest man in the world, despite what you and many other retailers try to tell society...
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

Brent

I emailed all of the Verizon contacts with Glenn's suggested letter. Let's hope Verizon gets a clue about the sexism in their commercials.

joni

http://www.hisside.com/verizon_campaign.htm

kiddosmom

sent mine, changed it a little

Dear Verizon:

This letter concerns Verizon's anti-father 'Leave her alone!' commercial (aka 'The Elliots: Homework'). In the commercial a father is trying to help his young daughter with her homework when he is belittled and scolded by his wife, who orders him to 'leave her alone!' The father is also made to look 'stupid' by his own child. I believe that such anti-father messages are harmful to our sons and daughters, I am a mother and in our home we do not have such disrespect toward mother OR father. I respectfully request that you withdraw this commercial.

Sincerely,
Anna Tucker
xxx-xxx-xxxx  <-- phone #

Bolivar

lol - msme I told your son on another board to give you a thank you hug from me.  I mean a BIG HUG! Make sure you get that thank you hug! :-)

a copy paste from http://www.custodyreform.com/

Subject: Well, fathers are being heard

Posted by: HRUs at  Custody Reform
on November 09, 2004 at 14:57:28:

Fatherhood Activists Protest TV Ad
Tuesday, November 09, 2004

NEW YORK — A TV ad showing a computer-illiterate father getting chided for trying to help his Internet-savvy daughter with her homework has roused the anger of fatherhood activists (search), who are calling on Verizon to take it off the air.

"Leave her alone," says the wife/mother in the Verizon DSL ad, ordering her befuddled husband to go wash the dog as the daughter, doing research on the computer, conveys a look of exasperation with her father.

"It's really outrageous," said Joe Kelly, executive director of the national advocacy group Dads and Daughters (search).

"It's reflective of some deeply entrenched cultural attitudes — that fathers are second-class parents, that they're not really necessary," Kelly said. "To operate from the assumption that dad is a dolt is harmful to fathers, harmful to children, and harmful to mothers."

John Bonomo, a Verizon spokesman, said Tuesday the ad has been running for several months. But only a few days ago did it come to the attention of Glenn Sacks (search), a commentator who hosts a weekly radio show aired in Los Angeles and Seattle that is sympathetic to the fathers' rights movement.

After watching the ad, Sacks began urging listeners of "His Side" to protest to Verizon — contending that the company would not have commissioned a comparable ad with the parents' genders reversed. He said more than 1,100 protest e-mails had been sent through his show's Web site to Verizon within the first two days of the campaign.

"By denigrating that guy, not simply with his wife but to show him to be useless with his little daughter, I know that made a lot of people see red," said Sacks, who has a school-age daughter of his own.

Bonomo said Verizon had received numerous calls and e-mails in the past couple of days about the ad, but had not yet decided on what sort of response might be made.

"All we can say at this point is we're looking at it," he said. "We take our feedback and customer comments quite seriously. We're obviously dismayed that some customers find one of our commercials offensive."

Kelly, who has engaged Dads and Daughters in several campaigns protesting ads, said corporate executives should try to imagine their own families being portrayed in their company's commercials.

"If you get the powers-that-be to put their own child's face in the picture, you've accomplished something." he said. "You can't stop being a father when you go out the front door."

Both Sacks and Kelly believe fathers have become easy targets for mockery from ad agencies that are now wary of offending women and racial minorities.

Jenny Thalheimer, a spokeswoman for the National Organization for Women, said NOW still receives many complaints about ads denigrating women.

"These Madison Avenue companies are under the gun," she said. "To even out their disparagement of women, they have to take on the men now and then."