Frequently Asked Questions

I can't get by on what's left of my paycheck. How can I get my child support lowered?

You'll need to petition the court for a lower amount, and you'll need to be able to justify a reduction to the court. Unfortunately, the courts will not always agree that not being able to live on what's left of your paycheck is a valid reason for a reduction. Even making less money than you did before is often disallowed as a valid reason for a reduction; the court may instead rule that you are 'voluntarily under employed'.