Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 06:24:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

help I messed up

Started by raymi, Dec 06, 2006, 10:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymi

Case is in MN. I am the NCP. I recently was in court asking for a motion of contempt and parenting time assisstance due to the CP not bring my daughter to the drop off for court ordered parenting time. The order was specific and everything was in order. There really should have been no reason that the NCP would not have been found in contempt and parenting time reinstated.

Because I was nervous I hired a father's a family law lawyer to come into court to help represent myself and to help show the contempt.

I did have police reports as witnessess and nasty letters written by the CP to myself stating I would never see my daughter again.

I really was what appeared to be an "open/shut" case.

My lawyer talked with the CP's lawyer when the judge asked if they could come to an agreement.

I wanted to see my daughter asap and I agreed to settle. However I did not talk with my wife before doing so and later realized I had made a big mistake. She has been my "legal counsel" ,researching this site, helping me make posts, gathering all the info and was more informed than I.

Honestly I didn't even realize what I was doing. I had told the lawyer I hired her to help with the contempt case but she encoured me to settle.

I agreed on record in front of the judge to something I did not want yo do. Now my lawyer tells me there is nothing I can do. She said she will be forwarding the agreement for me to sign.

If I do not sign the agreement what would happen?

Is there any way I can get a new motion hearing and not agree to what the CP wanted?

socrateaser

>If I do not sign the agreement what would happen?

The judge will enter the order based on your consent made on the record in open court.

>
>Is there any way I can get a new motion hearing and not agree
>to what the CP wanted?

Nope. You can move for another modification assuming new facts exist supporting a change in circumstances. But, if those facts are merely that you changed your mind, that won't cut it.

raymi

Would I be able to ask for another motion for contempt based on the three other times she did not bring my daughter to the drop off site?

These three other times were not in the first motion because they occurred after the notices were served. These other times were not addressed during the last motion hearing.

What do I do specifically to end my relationship with the lawyer that I had come into court with me?

Is there a letter or something I should send her?

I do not want to be charged if the CP's lawyer contacts her.

Thanks for your help, it is really appreciated.

socrateaser

>What do I do specifically to end my relationship with the
>lawyer that I had come into court with me?

Inform her that she is discharged from further service and ask her to move to withdraw.

>
>Is there a letter or something I should send her?

It's usually best to do this sort of thing in writing.

>
>I do not want to be charged if the CP's lawyer contacts her.

Once the lawyer is discharged, she can't bill you further (at least not lawfully).