Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:28:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Audio documentation

Started by Crockpot, Mar 01, 2007, 02:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crockpot

I use a calendar and notebook to track issues with my ex.  I think recording myself retelling the situation vs. writing it down would more efficient and comprehensive.    

My goal is to eventually increase my parenting time, if not get custody of my kids.  And I've been told documenting is very important.

1. Would the courts accept recordings as documentation of events?

Thanks.  

socrateaser

>I use a calendar and notebook to track issues with my ex.  I
>think recording myself retelling the situation vs. writing it
>down would more efficient and comprehensive.    
>
>My goal is to eventually increase my parenting time, if not
>get custody of my kids.  And I've been told documenting is
>very important.
>
>1. Would the courts accept recordings as documentation of
>events?

Yes, but all it proves is that you made a record. It doesn't necessarily prove that anything you recorded actually occured.

Crockpot

1. Do you thinking recording (written or verbal) incidents that may be of interest to a judge in a custody case is a waste of time if it's my only proof the incident occured?

2. Does written documentation carry more weight in court?

On a different topic, my ex and kids just moved much closer to me.  I'm considering buying a house in their new school district and hopfully working towards at least 50/50.  My concern is that my ex would move them out of that school district when she finds out I'm moving into it.

3. Is it unheard of to ask the courts to require my ex to get my approval before moving kids out of school district?

4.  Would the court be more likely to agree if the kids are already acclimated to me being so close to them?

Thanks.

socrateaser

>
>1. Do you thinking recording (written or verbal) incidents
>that may be of interest to a judge in a custody case is a
>waste of time if it's my only proof the incident occured?

I think any log is better than no log, but that a recording of the other party saying something particulary bad is better. The trick is to get it volutarily with knowledge that the recording is being made.

>
>2. Does written documentation carry more weight in court?

No, it's just easier to submit into evidence, because you don't have to pay to have it transcribed.

>3. Is it unheard of to ask the courts to require my ex to get
>my approval before moving kids out of school district?

No, it's pretty common where both parties already live in the district. Doing it your way is sort of a chicken-egg problem, because until you move into the district, the court cannot use your presence in the district as evidence to make the ruling, and of course, if you move in before the court hears the matter, and the other parent moves out, then you're not living in the same district so you're right back where you started.

>
>4.  Would the court be more likely to agree if the kids are
>already acclimated to me being so close to them?

Yep. See above.