Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 11:07:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

always the drama

Started by williaer, Mar 07, 2007, 02:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williaer

Soc-
All parites in Ohio. Child in joint legal and physical custody of parents. I have residential parent status for the purpose of school placement.

Child was tested by school and found to have learning disabilities. She was founf by testing to have an IQ of 71. While no one necessarily thinks it's true- it helps her to get services that she would otherwise not get in the school.

Child constantly struggles and mother refuses to help her with school work. Mother states that child is "lazy".

Multi-factored evaluation is done. Child is deemed elligible for an IEP for cognitive delays. School schedules a meeting to write and sign IEP goals today.

Parents and step-parent attend meeting- an hour into the meeting, mother pulls out a "letter of disagreement" and states that she disagrees with the multi-factored evaluation and will not sign an IEP.

School officials and other parent are totally unprepared, since she had signed the multi-factored evaluation as a participant being in agreement and let the IEP meeting go on for an hour.

Mother states she wants a "second opinion".

Since we have joint legal custody, can I sign the IEP without her?

I thought joint legal meant I have 100% and she has 100%- so I can 100% agree and have it implemented and she can 100% disagree- but it's moot, because I signed it- valid assumption?

socrateaser

>Since we have joint legal custody, can I sign the IEP without
>her?

Legally, yes you can sign and it would be a valid authorization. But school policy may still be to require both parents' signatures, so as to avoid any court entanglement. If I were the school's attorney, that's what I'd advise.

>I thought joint legal meant I have 100% and she has 100%- so I
>can 100% agree and have it implemented and she can 100%
>disagree- but it's moot, because I signed it- valid
>assumption?

You're correct. But, see above.