Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:38:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Address

Started by Crockpot, May 15, 2007, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crockpot

My SO ex's just moved this weekend.  She won't give SO their new address.  He's told her he's going to request an emergency change of custody if she doesn't find a permanent place for them to live.  She was recently evicted from her apartment of one month.  So, I suspect something is up.  They share legal, SO is NCP.  This may vary by state, but is she required to give him that information?

Thanks.

Sherry1

most court orders state specifically that the CP is to notify the NCP in writing prior to a move.  

Me and My DH were forced to drive 5 1/2 hours one way to find his skids because his moron ex told DH she took the "kids into hiding" for their protection.  Give me a break!

Anyway, we were prepared to file for an emergency hearing then and there while in her town with the courthouse in the vicinity if she didn't cut the crap.  We had to drive a total of 11 hours to get to the bottom of it, but she finally gave in and she never pulled that stunt again.

mistoffolees

>most court orders state specifically that the CP is to notify
>the NCP in writing prior to a move.  
>

Or at least within a very short time after the move.

Some court orders also prevent the CP from moving without the court's permission. Read your divorce documents.

Crockpot

The divorce doesn't mention keeping NCP up to date on addresses.  However, since they share legal custody I was thinking he would be entitled to that information.  We're concerned about where she's living.  She's moved several times in the last couple months.

Thanks.

mistoffolees

The sure-fire way to get this would be to go back to court for a clarification and ask that your divorce decree be modified to include language that both parties need to keep the other party informed of their address and provide such notification at least 10 days before moving.

Unfortunately, that takes time and money (very little if you do it yourself, more if you see an attorney). Plus, you run the risk of alienating the other person.

Another option would be to send her a certified letter telling her that in the future, you can not let the child go with her unless you know exactly where she is and how to contact her in the event of an emergency. I don't know if that would be acceptable or if she would be able to come back on you for interfering with visitation. I would think it would be OK. If she brings a policeman to enforce visitation, you'd simply show him/her a copy of the letter and explain that you're not interfering with visitation, you just need to know where the child is going to be. That seems reasonable to me (but the law isn't always reasonable, so you might need to check with someone).

mishelle2

what state are you in?  That really makes all the difference, I would check under the "general conduct" area of your CO.. Id file for a emergency order, but first I think I would have a PI follow her for the weekend, from the kids school see where there going, staying etc.. and check with the school she may  have given new address to them, since its the end of the year she may not have if the kids will go to a different school.. but you just never know...

Crockpot

SO isn't working right now so we don't have $ for a PI.  We think eventually she'll need SO to pick the kids up at home since she doesn't have a car and is wearing out her welcome with friends driving them.  We came up with the same idea, to check with the school.  I'm sure she hasn't changed the adress with the current one, but if it gets to that we'll get it from the school in the fall.

We'll check into our states guidelines.

Thanks!