Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: depression  (Read 2006 times)


  • Guest
« on: Feb 27, 2004, 01:56:47 PM »
Dr D,
   In your opinion if a custodial parent suffers from severe clinical depression. (to the point of being placed on permanent disability, and has to live with there parents)Do you think the noncustodial parent has the right to know about it? and do you think that someone suffering from such a disability can effectively make decisions regarding the childs well being?
 Any insight you have would be apprecitated,

Dr. D

  • Guest
RE: depression
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2004, 02:59:25 PM »
Depression, even severe enough to warrant permanent disability does not necessarily make a poor parent.  Many people suffer from clinical depression yet fend for their children quite well.  As far as informing the noncustodial parent.  That depends on the amount of involvement that parent has in the child's life and the quality of that involvement.

It sounds as though you have discovered something that is worrying you.  Try asking the custodial parent if he/she needs any assistance during this time.  Certainly, working WITH the other parent is the best solution if possible.

Dr. D


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.