Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 09:14:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

part time job

Started by I cry_ in_the_dark, Jan 16, 2004, 01:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I cry_ in_the_dark

I currently work full time, and have been ordered to pay child support. If I take on a part time job, would they figure that into what I have to pay for  support as well?

sweetnsad

I believe they can, but hopefully someone who knows for sure can answer this...

MKx2

I believe that there are a "few" things that may not be counted as "income" for CS calculations, that IRS considers income, but any employment income WILL be considered.

Stinks.

Wishing

The key on this is if they are made aware of the PT job. Don't get me wrong here, I do fully believe and support the child support guidelines although do question the formula based on the history of its origin. I make $60k a year and pay $12k for my two sons.

I picked up a PT job for a short while after the CS was established. I did it to help pay off my legal bills. Unless your ex or the Court is made aware of the additional income, no one knows. Plus I believe most States require at least a 20-25% differential in CS before it is even entertained.

Good luck.

hisliltulip

When I asked my CS worker if they were going to figure in my ex's part-time income, she said no.  They only do if the NCP is working two (or more) part-time positions.

My ex works full-time for bills and part-time for extra stuff.

I wanted to make sure, because I had promised him I wouldn't touch his second job income.

Have a friend call your CS division and ask.

BETH

reagantrooper

"Don't get me wrong here, I do fully believe and support the child support guidelines "

YOU ARE KIDDING RIGHT???

Wishing

I guess I should have said I do fully support child support - not necessarily the guidelines. As it is what it is, I can't do much about it. Believe me, pulling $60 and after $12 in CS I'm left with $2,000 a month to live on and that is ridiculuos - but again - it is what it is.

I do take issue with how the original CS guidelines were developed. The history on that leaves one wondering just how they could have arrived at such a faulty guideline. There is little to no basis given for the father's living situation. That is where I find extreme fault.

Until those guidelines are changed, I can do little about it. It used to eat me up inside but justified anger left little else.

I cry_ in_the_dark

Be thankful, I'm left with approximately 600 dollars a month. That's my rent and my gas(heat) bill.

So what you are saying is, if I go to work part time in addition to my full time job to pay my bills...they are going to take that too?

Good GAWD!!!

Peanutsdad

In texas, if you have cs set on your income, then start working overtime or take a second job,
The ex finds out, and can go back and get a increase. ALL moneys are considered when figuring cs here. So, it doesnt help you at all to work more,, in fact, you get penalized, because,,, if you quit the second job, its unlikely you will get a reduction since the attorney generals office will claim you are voluntarily underemployed.

mustang292

Learn how to sell on E-Bay. I have learned how to make extra money on E-Bay very quickly to try and pay lawyer's fees.  You get to stay home and spend more time with your child when you have him/her and it's like a yardsale so you don't have to pay taxes or even claim it as income so the state can't touch you unless you open your mouth and tell everybody.  IF your ex has main custody then it's your ex who she be the main financial supporter!