Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 01:43:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How to collect support from a mother in MN

Started by seandogz, Jul 09, 2004, 10:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seandogz

We are going in front of a child support judge. Different than the judge tht granted me custody. If she has an attorney it will be legal aide or something. My income says I "can" afford an attorney so I am not eligible for any asisstance ("I DON'T THINK).

Right now she is working. Her child is not due until November.

hisliltulip

Her working is really really good.

Is she married?  Where is the Father of the child that she is pregnant with?  Does he work?

If the Father is around, then he can brunt some of the monetary burden of raising her baby.  The daughter that she had with you though is yours and HER responsibility.  She shouldn't be able to jump ship on CS, just because she chose to have another child after CS was set up.  That's silly.

Lowering CS supposedly rarely happens.  According to MN rules, a NCP cannot ask for a modification because of additional children unless having that child and paying CS puts her on welfare.  If you however had asked for an increase, she could argue that she has another child, and the increase would be unfair to her child.

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/518/551.html (this is the statute for MN CS guidlines)

HOWEVER, I don't trust Judges to follow the rules when there is an NCP BM.

You may want to check with your county social service agency.  Find out what their rules are on leaving an 8 year old home alone is.  If it works in your favor, great, if not, don't share with BM that you looked into it.

You may lose the help on daycare.  I just don't know.  

But your ex is making $12.00/hour.  Yeah, it's not a whole lot, but she's not in the poor house either.

3 Boys!

OSS - NCP
YSS - CP
DS -CP

seandogz

I HAVE COURT TOMORROW 7/20/2004. ANY LAST MINUTE ADVISE????

seandogz

>I HAVE COURT TOMORROW 7/20/2004. ANY LAST MINUTE ADVISE????

hisliltulip

Yeah, don't lose your cool tomorrow.

Plus, hit the MN board here.  You might get some more state specific advice from other Minnesotans!

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes tomorrow!

hisliltulip

nm

3 Boys!

OSS - NCP
YSS - CP
DS -CP