Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 07:55:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Medical Bills / Problems spliting half

Started by heather2662, Jan 17, 2005, 06:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MixedBag

An Explanation of Benefits as I know it is one sheet of paper (maybe printed on both sides), and contains information for one patient.

The doctor's office said that they get multiple patient's information in one payment along with a computer print out that has the details where the names are listed line by line...

So if they make a copy, they'd be crossing out tons of lines of names to protect their privacy.

So Joni, you said the same thing -- the doctor's version of the EOB has more than one name on it and that's why they won't give it to you.

MixedBag

The divorce decree reads "Mom shall provide insurance through the United States Air Force."  Translation:  Tri-Care and United Concordia.

Coverage for active duty members is 100%.

When I was getting ready to retire, DH got a new job and we elected to put all the kids under his insurance (DH is step-dad, I'm NCP/BM) so that when I retired, coverage would be as close to 100% as possible.  

I cancelled United Concordia early (to save some money).   Upon retirement, United Concordia/Delta Dental doesn't make financial sense when compared to the coverage I could get through Step-Dad.

A month later, the EX picks up insurance also for our son and doesn't tell me.  (and granted I didn't tell him about our change either because I hadn't retired yet).

And that's when our headaches really began -- and still continue to this day.

Our son is covered by the three largest medical insurance companies there are out there (BC/BS is one, Tri-Care is another, and I won't name the third to protect my EX's privacy -- because he reads these boards).  

Tri-Care by federal law pays AFTER everyone else does, period.

BC/BS said "Mom is required to provide insurance and does so through Step-Dad, so we are primary."  EX refuses to even USE those benefits.....but I get the doctor's offices to process the claims, so I don't need his "cooperation"...

EX's insurance said "Mom is required to provide insurance through Tri-Care and they pay after everyone else.  Dad is custodial, so dad's insurance is primary."  Dad isn't even REQUIRED to provide insurance, but I am.

And upon retirement, I lost dental coverage and made arrangement to get it through DH's employer.

So for 2 years, two major insurance companies read the same sentence and said they are primary.  It was kinda funny....

So, just last week, BC/BS said "We're gonna be secondary to Dad's insurance because "they" said they are primary. "  There was a medical claim that got overpaid that brought the situation up again.

I said "Fine....because my My ULTIMATE concern is knowing when my son has been taken to the doctor and what for and not getting lied to again."

And my EX has yet to provide an insurance card -- but as he'll see soon in the mail, I'm officially asking for one.  And maybe that's the next reason to go back to court......or maybe he'll wake up and send one after reading through this thread and how he's in the wrong for not providing one a long time ago inspite of the fact that I knew the basic insurance information.  Cheaper to just comply because the judge is gonna tell him to give me one anyways.

joni

and we cross out the names......