Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 09:06:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

State of Tenn demanding support proof?

Started by maxp3, Jun 13, 2005, 05:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxp3

I am new here but I have the same old problem. My two girls ages 14 and 12 lived with me the past year and attended school here in Georgia. They are visiting the mom for the summer and I just received a notice from the State of Tenn stating they need proof of all CS paid by me. I have paid CS up until the kids chose to live with me. I talked to my attorney and he said the State of Georgia would consider the care of the children as support. So, who has jurisdiction here? The state of tenn or georgia? The mom resides in Tenn and I in Georgia.

msjanbo

I believe that GA would have jurisidiction.  Whereever the children have LIVED for at least 6 months is considered the "primary residence". Why TN would request this is beyond me.  If the children now reside with you, TN should be more interested in what MOM has paid - not you.  She's liable for CS too, since you took custody of the kids.  I'd ignore the order or have your atty respond for you - stating you won't be providing the info as it's not legally necessary.  GL!

joni

the child support would follow whereever the last court order for child support is current.  Unless you petition the court for a change in circumstances or state (ie....the children live with me here in GA and now the MOM should be paying ME child support).

Mom could screw you here and TN could screw you further.  When those children came to live with you, you should have filed with the state of TN to notify them and get the child support order dropped.

Unless mom agrees to forgive the child support for the last year and notifies TN as such, I think you may be on the hook for back child support while the children lived with you.  Remember, as you read this, family court is not a fair and objective place.

I hope you're on good terms with mom.  I don't think your attorney is right.  Is his focus primarily family law or is he a jack of all trades?

I would get your atty and mom to follow up on this to get the child support dropped for the last year.  Clearly, you have no proof that you've paid child support for nearly a year.