Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 23, 2024, 03:50:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

drivers license suspension

Started by marybeth33, Jul 21, 2005, 01:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marybeth33

My ex husband has paid a total of 16.00 EVER in child support for twin boys age 10 (244.00 per month is his requirement). HE is over 10,000 in arrears and refuses to work. He was showing up for visitation and he lives 2 hours away - his choice he moved in with his girlfriend who refuses to live in the city. Anyway. now his drivers license is suspended because he hasnt paid child support.

Curious what he has to do to get his license reeinstated? Anyone know? This is for Minnesota.

Thanks!

MaryBeth

jilly

I would think he'd have to get the arrears paid off.  Check the laws in your State or call child support enforcement and ask them.

lucky

I live in MN and when pbfh's license was "suspended" (she hadn't had one in 7-8 years due to driving w/o insurance then no DL tickets, she called and complained because she'd gone to the DMV to take her test and they told her of the CS suspension.

She was told that she had to pay the arrears off in full because she'd defaulted on the previous payment plan.

SO, if he's had a payment plan (sounds like no) he may be able to get one and after complying with it (or perhaps just setting one up if the cse officer is in a good mood) he should be reinstated.  Otherwise, he probably will have to pay the arrears off.

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

MYSONSDAD

Depends on the State and what they will do.

A friend of mine just cleared his up by going down to the CS Enforcement Agency. Worked out a payment plan and had to sign a "Good Faith Agreement"

Only thing is, if you screw up, your toast...

Check your State and see what you can do.

rainbow1

Make sure you have proof that he has a valid driver's license before you let the kids go anywhere with him driving.

dontunderstand

We are in WA.  Our BM has 9 pages on her driving record.  She has an extensive history of no insurance, hit and run, following too close, speeding in a school zone, no seat belts, filing a false police report, etc.  There is NO way she can pay all of the fines and she fails to go to court.  Her license should be suspended.  How do we find out?  When DH asked her if she had a valid license, she called yelling and swearing and told DH "it is none of your gawd damn business if I do or if I don't have a license!"  We sure would be in court if it was one of us that was in question!  Do we have to continue to let SD go with her knowing how horribly unsafe and irresponsible she is???  The kicker is that she states in all of her declarations that WE don't care about SD's safety!  

marybeth33

Child support directed me to Minnesota department of motor vehicles. Gave me the # - I called and said I need to know if my ex husbands license is valid becuase his scheduled visitation is this weekend. They can only give you a yes or no answer no details.

jilly

You could get an attorney to order his driving record.  That will tell you traffic violations and will show the date of any suspension of his driver's license.  I think an attorney is the only person who is able to request/receive this information.  Look on the DMV website and there should be information on how to order a driving record and who is authorized to request one.

IceMountain

Does your state have a court website?  In Iowa I can track the ex's court records and see when she has not had her license.  Under 'filings' I can see what court action was taken on whatever case it is.  It will list 'notice of suspension' and 'notice to withdraw suspension'.  She last lost her license in March and got them back in April.  She was transporting my child at that time.  Problem is I just found out about a month ago.  I never thought to look at the 'filings' for a speeding ticket... now I know!

dontunderstand

WA is finally adding new resources.  We still don't know if she has her license or not, BUT we did find out she had court today and court on 8/30 for 2 more criminal, 2 more non criminal and 2 more traffic tickets? This will make 32 open cases!  UNREAL and again we are unsafe!!!  Anymore ideas, please let me know!!! Thank you~all.

Kitty C.

Yeah, right before her next visitation, call the cops and tell them of your suspicions.  There's a possibility they might be able to tell you if she has one either way, but if not, ask them to do a stand-by for when she arrives at your house and let THEM run a license check on her.  Remember, regardless of what she says, you do NOT have to release the children to her if she doesn't have a valid license.  In fact, if you do release them to her, she is not valid, and she gets into trouble (or heaven forbid another accident and the kids get hurt), CPS could come down on YOU like ugly on a gorilla for letting them go with her.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

dontunderstand

The police will do NOTHING!  "not enough man power"  The dept. of licensing will tell us nothing!  You know the usual "it's confidential"  so her privacy is protect, but our SD is not protected from this person!!!  Any other suggestions will be VERY helpful!!!

marybeth33

I was going to say the same thing. I called the police in the city where Ex husband lives because he is driving with his girlfriends child in the car and I know drove my kids in the car without a license ( found out after the fact) The police said we dont just sit and wait around for a guy to illegally get in a car and drive. Unless he has a traffic violation- speeding, expired tabs  etc..he wont get caught. I was pretty mad and said how can you condone a man illegally driving with children in the car? He said maam you will have to take this up in court. I cant help you. I said gee what faith i have in our state police enforcement after this phone call (sigh)

I

dontunderstand

It is absolutely absurd to me that it is okay for these people to be ALLOWED to drive without a license.  It is more absurd to me that this BM has 32 OPEN (unpaid) CASES!  32! and she is still able to not only drive, but even when she does get pulled over it is just another ticket!  In our case she actually takes SD to court with her and then lies to her about what court is about, because it is NEVER EVER her fault!  uuuggghhh!!!

marybeth33

Sounds like my ex---

Hes just a VICTIM of everyone else and his family and everyone close to him he convinces to pity him ---- ughhh  YA RIGHT VICTIM my ____!! Ughhh sorry for you frustration and pain I sure can relate!

dontunderstand

Thanks, it is so nice that others really do understand.  Close friends and family think that we are taking this too far.  Is there such a thing when it comes to your kids?...BUT, DH had to go to the DOL today and we happened to get the guy I got last time and he remembered me.  I asked him about her driving history and what can we do?  He gave us the number to our DOL in Olympia (the big dogs;) ) He also suggested that we call CPS becasue of the concern of safety of SD, anyone have any thoughts on this???

BigFamily

Small world, we're in Olympia also.

Call the sheriff's office and tell them that she's driving without vehicle insurance AND a suspended driver's license, AND she's picking up your step-daughter on such & such a date at such & such a time. Do the foot-work for them.
Oh, and you might want to call the Thurston County Sheriff's office. They have done civil stand-by's for us more readily than the Olympia Police department has. They'd probably be more willing to do something about the ex's driving situation than the Police.

If that doesn't work, break out her tail light. ;)

Kitty C.

Forgot to mention that............don't even bother with the local police, they don't like to get involved with things liike this.  ALWAYS call the sheriff's office instead.  And if you don't get any satisfaction from them, contact the state atty. general......that office is the lead law enforcement in your state.  And they don't like to hear that local depts. won't do their jobs of PROTECTING ALL our citizens.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

dontunderstand

We are on the othere side of the state ;(  they are so unwilling to do anything for us...

Mom of 2 Girls

Hi,

Just curious, I know that Support and visitation are 2 seperate issues, but if someone has an Ex who has a suspended license....do you permit them to pick up the kids for visitation in their car if they are driving it?

Mom of 2 Girls

dontunderstand

That is what we are trying to figure out.  BM has had two DWLS in the last 2 months alone!!!  How can she continue to drive with SD in the car???  

marybeth33

I REFUSE to allow my children in the car with my ex who has a suspended drivers license. He knows he must provide PROOF of his his license reinstatement before I will allow the children back in the car with him

DO NOT ALLOW your children in the car - you could be held liable!

dontunderstand

Okay 2 questions, what state are you in and we are the NCP's so wouldn't we be in contempt?

wendl

My ex doesn't have a license due to many reasons. By court order he is NOT allowed to transport our son, until he obtains a valid license. I usually do all the driving (when we lived close)

Now his mom (my sons grandma) buys the plane ticket and picks up my son from the airport, so she usually does the driving for my ex (well she usually takes the visitation not dad)

But I am in the insurance industry and NO WAY would I allow a child to be in a car with an unlicensed person or a person who does not carry insurance.

marybeth33

I am in Minnesota

as to the second question -- what is the transportation agreement in the divorce decree? or custody arrangement? If you are required to drive and pick up the child/children than yes you could be however no police officer or judge once they know that the CP has no drivers license  is going to file suit against you for protecting the child.

Bottom line a lawyer needs to get involved here...

dontunderstand

PP says that "the recieving parent provides transportation."  I know that is we don't let her pick her up all h@** will break loose.  We are dealing with someone that is 51 cards short of a full deck!!!