Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 05:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BM wants to use CS to pay her half of college expense.

Started by heather2662, Aug 01, 2005, 07:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heather2662

Illinois State

18 year old will be going to college 30min away in the neighboring state. She will also be living on campus.

DH stopped paying support after high school graduation.

BM wants CS to start again.

DH and BM have agreed to split cost (after grants) for school.

BM sent DH email discussing school cost and told him CS needs to start again. This is an excerpt were she states that she was planning to spend his CS to pay for her half of school expense. (note how she says; I should be getting something):

"I had planned on using the support money. Im not so
sure that i agree that there should be no support...i
think i should be getting something or least taking
payments for college, insurance, phone...or whatever
out of it

I had also planned on making the college payments from
the support money..."

1. Does DH have to pay support to BM if 18 year old daughter is not living at home while attending college?

2. Can she legally use CS to pay her half of the college expense? (That would mean DH would technically be paying for all of it then.)

joni

I read what Soc advised you......consider this....would the mom be able to guilt the child into living with her since college is so close?  under the guise that if mom doesn't get CS, mom can't pay her half of tuition?

heather2662

Oh NO... She would tell her mom to "get bent" just like she did when BM put the kids up to begging DH and DH's family for money to get things they need and want.
DH bought a bunch of school clothes in the past and extras for kids and she made car payments and bought jewelry with CS. Kids said to BM "your check should be short this week to pay back dad on the money he spent!" Yes, thats right, kids refer to it as "her check." Now keep in mind that the last time they got new clothes was from Dad  the previous X-Mas. The had a money limit and took them shopping and picked out clothes together. Thats what the KIDS wanted.

The kids see right through all her crap and then some... Thank God!

joni

AMEN!  Glad to hear this!  I think Soc gave you great advice, dont' bend on this at all.