Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 08:37:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CS Question

Started by askray, Aug 26, 2005, 08:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

askray

OK, here's the situation...  I'm going to court for a child support order and a parenting plan/visitation order.  I'm the ncp of a 4 month old daughter.  My ex-gf has a 9 year old son from a previous relationship and it was worked out in their divorce agreement that child support for the 9 year old is $170/week.  Also, the father has his health care paid for by my ex within her healthcare plan, (which I believe is illegal since they are no longer married).

When I calculated the child support guidelines on Mass' CSE website for my infant daughter, I found that I would be paying around $215/week.

I noticed on the CS Guidelines that infants are not as 'costly', (for lack of a better term), than older children.

My question is:  Can I ask the judge to deviate from the guidelines based on the fact that my ex only gets $170/week for a child that supposedly should 'cost' more than an infant?  Has anyone ever argued this?

I know for a fact that $215/week is way over the amount she needs based on the price of child necesseties, (formula, diapers, wipes, shelter, clothes, etc), because I was buying all of her necesseties for her, (with the exception of shelter and bills, but those expenses were there long before my daughter came along), for four months and kept excellent records.

wendl

The amount of cs for the other child will have no bearing on your cs case.

Usually they use a formula with the income of the ncp or both parents, depending on your state.

Sometimes you can get credits (reduction factored in) based on the amount of time you have the child, if you pay medical/daycare costs etc.

I used to make way more than my ex and he was ordered to pay $160 a month,

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**