Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 29, 2024, 02:44:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Child turns 18

Started by norm1960, Aug 01, 2006, 06:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norm1960

I need help.  My stepson turns 18 this month.  He failed to graduate frm high school..  His mother refused to take him to summer school or night school, and my son admitted to failing the class to delay his military entrance.  The divorce decree clearly states that my husband will pay child support until the child turns 18 (period).  The divorce took place in 1993 before the ga law changed.  Everything that I have looked up on the internet states the we will abide by the divorce decree or child support order as if it is law.  My husband's ex-wife stated  that we will continue to pay until their son graduates.  Am i correct that we do not have to pay anymore since it is clearly stated in the divorce decree signed by the judge that we stop paying at 18 yoa?    

ocean

Do you pay the BM or CSE? If you pay BM directly, I would just stop the payments and see if she brings you back to court. If it is through CSE, show them your divorce decree and have them stop garnishing the wages. IF she brings you back to court, not sure.....Is he going to HS for one class in the fall? I would get proof that the class was offered in the summer from his school district and he refused to go. Let us know what happens....
Good luck!

norm1960

He pays the ex wife.   thanks for your quick response.

KAT

Nah, I wouldn't pay her another dime over the COURT ORDER.  Why would you? It's in the COURT ORDER after all!! It would now be on HER to file a motion to *show cause* or *amend & review* or whatever it is in your state. Then sit back & let her tell the judge why junior failed a grade *snicker*...if it was a just one class then I give you permission to laugh out loud & request attorney fees. Most states won't even listen to her motion unless it was filed six month's PRIOR to the end of her income...whoops I mean child support check.
Now, what are you doing to celebrate the end of your husband's slavery?
I seriously want to know!
KAT

VeronicaGia

(Hi Kat!!!)

The order is clear if it says that support stops once the child turns 18.  Keep in mind though that even if junior turned 18 on the 1st of the month, a full month of support must be paid.  You may consider sending a copy of the court order with it, highlighting the spot where it says 18, just to grind it in a little!

Congrats!