Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 09:30:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Emancipation when two states have different rules

Started by co-brewer, May 22, 2007, 02:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

co-brewer

Probably an easy question for someone on this board.

I'm in Colorado where child support ends at 19.  Daughter and mother with her newest husband and 3 other kids are in Washington where support ends at 18.  Child support order was from Colorado court on behalf of Washington with full health insurance.  Daughter graduates this month and turns 18 in two months.

I assumed payments ended when she turned 18 until I spoke with Child services here and they said 19 because I'm in Colorado.  Is this right?

Here is the VERY brief background if it matters:
I dated the mother as a freshman in college for about a month...fast forward 12 years when I get served with paternity papers and a back support order for over $75,000.  Instant garnishment of wages, back support has been paid and my contact with daughter has been through a handful of emails over the last two years.  I feel guilty for wanting to end support, but I have been working 70 hour weeks in order to keep my family at the same level since this insanity started in '01!

ocean

You will need to follow the laws where the support order is right now. It sounds like mom never asked Washington to take over so it would stay in Colorado and their laws. Are you sure it is 19 or graduates high school. Read it carefully....Your lucky you are not in NY...It is 21 here!