Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 25, 2024, 04:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

reducing child support payment

Started by mplsfitter539, Jan 31, 2008, 07:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mplsfitter539

My payment was based on false figures that my ex supplied to the court. I never could afford even one payment at the amount accessed to me. I had to move outside the USA just to avoid incarceration. If I could get my payment reduced to say $300 per month I could afford to pay every month. I just had a phone hiring with a Magistrate yesterday and I don't think he will reduce it down enough. What can I do to get it reduced to an amount I can afford? I can't come back to the USA until I get it fixed and no money gets paid until I can return without incarceration.

Sherry1

It has to do with an amount of money based upon your income and your ex's income.  Cold hard facts.  Your pay stub and her pay stub.  

olanna

You need to pay something. You need to show that you are a caring person and will take care of your child.

As Sherry said, it's not about what you can afford.  Stay out of the US but for all purposes, send something.

mplsfitter539

I would need to return to the USA just to pay something. I have no job where I am now and its illegal for anyone here to hire me without citizenship or residency. I can't pay anything unless they let me come back and I can't come back until they agree not to incarcerate me.

olanna

I believe, just speaking for me, that I would rather go to jail for a bit and be able to see my child, and earn money than stay in hiding to avoid jail time.

The USA is a big place.  I can promise, as would most here attest, that if you came back to the USA, found work, and sent money, there is a GRAND chance that jail time would be avoided completely.  I can also tell you the CSE would not catch up with you for many months....so if you do it on your own, it would look great.

You are making this situation very hard on yourself. Sometimes just facing your fears makes them go away.

mplsfitter539

Thank you for your kind and caring advice. You are really the first person that ever had something nice to say to me about the situation that I am in. Most people don't understand and are only concerned about the money. Obviously this issue goes far beyond money. Thank you again, its people like you who give me hope that one day this will be behind me.

olanna

I have been exactly where you are.  You ever hear that joke?

A man falls in a manhole, and can't get out.  He's yelling for help...and first off a lawyer stops by, tells him not to worry, he will go to the judge to get the permitting to lift him out.  Next, a clergy stops by and tells him he will have the entire church pray for him to get him out. And last, his dear and trusted friend sees him in the hole, and jumps in with him.

He asked his friend..."why did you jump in here?  Now we are both stuck in here."

To which his friend replies, "I have a flashlight, follow me, as I know the way out. I have been in here before."

You came to the right place.

;)

lilywhite

How are you eating without a job?  How are you supporting yourself?

mplsfitter539

friends and family is how I am being supported

olanna

I figured that much.  I am betting those same people would help you get back to the states and get things in order.

;)