Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 03:22:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How Long Is Normal For Evaluation?

Started by Tucker, Apr 23, 2004, 01:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tucker

What is an average time for a Custody Evaluation?   It just seems like the process keeps going and going, costing more and more money?  When is enough supposed to be enough?

hisliltulip

Every jurisdiction is different.

Ours had a six month time line.  BM did not respond to evaluator until 6 weeks before due date.  Needless to say, it was slammed through as fast as possible.

On the upside, DH got custody.

On the downside, BM was never tested for drug use, so she has extremely liberal visitation.

The evaluator "didn't want to waste the courts time" with a drug test.  Put in report that BM may or may not be a druggie, but sure acts like one.

How long has yours been going on?  Did the Judge put a due date on it?

Tucker

Mine has been going for about 4 months, and the cost continues to rise.  The judge didn't set a due date, but the Guardian Adlitem has already turned in that report.   It just seems like the process goes on and on, and you begin to wonder what other information a person needs to make a decision.  I'm just amazed at how much money it takes to get a person to put together a report and decide.  

When the process began we were told it would take 4-6 months, so hopefully the process will finish soon.  The longer it continues, the harder it is on the kids.  We've had our "PLAY SESSION", the evaluator has met with them individualy, and the evaluator has said there will be one more meeting with them.  I have one more appointment scheduled, and am sure there will be at least one or two more.  Hopefully at the next appointment I'll be able to get a complete timeframe for the remaining portion of the process.  I just keep looking for a light at the end of the tunnel.

It's a strange process and I hope it's one I'll never have to go through again.

hatewelfare

Ha...my custody fight is going on 5 months now. Last time in court Judge and GAL ordered us to both have a phyc eval done. SBFH couldn't remeber dates, times or anything on the stand that looked bad for her, but then knew down to the minute anything 'bad' that I did.

From what I gather from the GAL she thinks the SBFH may have a mental problem...but wanted a report from both of us to be fair.

Judge order the GAL to report back within 30 days with her recomendation to custody. Well, I just got a leter that says the court adminstrator has talked to the GAL and found out I took the test and then it says "in the event the SBFH has not taken the eval. she is directed to make an apponment no later than APRIL 30th.

This is now 60 days after our last court hearing...already more than 30 days later than the judge ordered the GAL to have a report back. Now I find out that the GAL is going to have a home visit with us in MN and SBFH in Iowa before she makes her report. This is going to drag out forever....sigh....

tulip

Did you hire a private evaluator? When dh had an eval 3 years ago, it was with a county appointed one, and there was one set cost, which had to be split, I think. I wish she would have a more thorough job, even though it seemed to take forever. When all the investigating was finished, it took about a month or two to complete her report.

Tucker

Yes, I hired a private evaluator.  I'm sure the job being done is very complete, but why does it take so long for a person to form an opinion?  Not to mention the cost associated with it.  Since my "X" didn't have the funds for the process I agreed to pay the complete cost  We also had a GAL through the county and my "X" paid for that.  But, the GAL portion is already completed.  It's just a long drawn out process that puts more added preasure on the kids.