Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Spousal Rights  (Read 4098 times)


  • Guest
Spousal Rights
« on: Sep 12, 2004, 07:55:40 AM »
My name is Jonathan.  I have recently been reacquainted with an old friend.  We have know each other for thirteen years, but have not seen each other about six years.  I have recently divorced and she has been extremely unhappy with her marriage.  There are many similarities in our marriages and our spouses.  We have communicated on that level via email and phone.   Her husband has accused her otherwise.  Despite his accusations nothing of that nature has gone on.  My dear friend has wanted to leave her husband but has not strength to do so or the resources.  They have been married over six years, with one child and she also has a daughter of her own.  They have a house, and she is expected to work full-time, maintain the house and take care of the children.  Last night he forcefully took her phone from her while she was talking to me and he threw it against the floor breaking it.  He took her house keys and car keys, called a cab and forced her out of the house.  She needs her car to commute to work.  She also needs more clothing than what she was wearing and she desperately wants to see her children. When the relationship began she had her own car which he ended up with and sold, she got another car, as well as he but both are in his name and he assumes that that gives him the right to keep her from having one.  She has no where to go and almost no money.  I want to help and I have the room for her to stay, but that to reflect badly on her for being accused of something that is not happening.  I am not sure what can legally been done immediately to get some of her things and her car.  Can you help me?







(801) 364-5454

(801) 750-5454



  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 415
  • Karma: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Spousal Rights
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2004, 11:18:36 AM »
With what you have said it would almost sound like a form of DV. She may be intiltled to a protection order which could give her temporary custody and or visitation rights as well as temp possesion of the family home.

This man seems very controlling in what you described. Is there other incidents of abuse? verbal abuse is also considered domestic violence

I do not normally advise people to get restraining orders but it sounds as if this woman is in need of help immediately so it is the only thing that I can think of that would give her imediate help.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.