Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: What would you do if you received this email from CP or kids guardians?  (Read 896 times)


  • Guest
Just wanted to let you know exactly what guardianship really means....

What is a guardianship?

A guardianship of a minor is legal proceeding in which someone other than a parent is given the care, custody, control, and responsibility for a child.

This might happen because the parents are deceased, ill, unavailable, or not appropriate parents.

A guardianship of an incapacitated adult is a legal proceeding in which someone is appointed to make decisions for an adult who is "legally incapacitated." This means a person who "...has suffered, is suffering or is likely to suffer substantial harm due to an inability to provide for his personal needs for food, clothing, shelter, health care or safety or an inability to manage his or her property or financial affairs..." NH RSA 464-A:2

How do I become guardian? Do we need to go to Court?

The Probate Court or Family Court has jurisdiction to appoint guardians. To become a guardian, you need to submit a petition to the Court stating specifically why a guardianship is needed. In the case of a guardianship of a minor, the child's parents need to consent to the guardianship or, at least, be given notice of the hearing on the guardianship. The parents can object at the hearing.

In the case of guardianship of an incapacitated adult, the Court will appoint an attorney to represent the allegedly incapacitated person. The guardian/petitioner needs to prove to the Court that the adult needs someone to make decisions for that person. The Court can dismiss the guardianship petition or appoint a guardian over the person (to make decisions about medical care and residence) or guardian over the estate (to make decisions about finances) or both.

How long does the guardianship last?

The guardianship over a minor may last until the child is eighteen years old, unless it is terminated earlier.

The guardianship over an incapacitated adult lasts as long as the person remains incapacitated.

What are my responsibilities as guardian?

As a guardian of a minor child, you step into the role of the parents and are responsible to care for the child. You have the legal responsibility as if this were your child. You may be entitled to receive support from the parent. The parent still retains parental rights and may have the right to visit with the child. The child cannot be adopted without the consent of the parents or the termination of the parental rights of the parents.

You have the responsibility to report to the Court annually about the guardianship. If you are guardian of the estate, you have the responsibility to manage money for the child/incapacitated adult and only use that money with permission of the Court.


The information contained herein is intended for informational purposes only, not for specific legal advice. This information pertains only to New Hampshire and there is no warranty that the information is accurate or up-to-date. Each situation is unique and we urge you to contact an attorney to discuss or receive advice about a specific circumstance.



  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
You got this as an e-mail from the CP or child(rens) guardian??  Why?
Need more details on the situation.


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.