Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 01:39:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Garnishment ignored

Started by dipper, May 12, 2005, 04:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dipper

Hi all, I posted this under soc - but just incase he isnt on tonight....

DH took his ex to court last October for a debt that was joint, but he was garnished for completely.  She refused to pay anything.  

The judge ordered her to pay $2800.  She refused to come to any sort of reasonable deal - demanding dh take $25/mo for the next 10 years.  So, dh garnished her...she had a good paying job as a manager of a store.  

The garnishment was delivered to her and the store on Nov 18th.....the corporate office was out of state, so it had to be delivered to her store and then was supposed to be forwarded.  DH asked for confirmation in Dec. from corporate and got no response.  Tried again in January and got a noncommittal letter stating they could not discuss anyone's employment................Then..dh mailed a certified letter with a copy of the complete garnishment.  Never heard anything back.  

Her store was shut down within a week after this.  Interestingly, back in January when her work records were subpoenaed for custody - they were never received at corporate office and nothing was done for that...

Ok, today dh went to court as it was the big day -and nada!  Nothing was there.  The clerk said all she know he could do was to do a show cause for the employee who signed for the summons.  But, the store is closed - we dont have her address.......and she was just a clerk, it was not her responsibility to forward this.  We cant do a show cause on the company because it is out of state.........she did say that it may be possible to file a contempt of court on the ex.    They do have other stores in VA, where we live.

I am so tired of her being able to just ignore court orders and the courts do nothing.  

Now dh is court ordered to pay 75% of medical bills and since ss was hospitalized for 13 days - we are looking at major bills.  She has taken dh to court for $100 in medical bills before while owing him $2800.  But, two separate things.............I am to the point where I have told dh - let her pay the hospital bill and take it off of what she owes you....and if she does take him to court over it....QUIT his job and we will move to NC - I have an ex there - they cant do a darn thing....buy for ss, take care of him, but dont give her not one thin dime!

Anyone have any experience in this?  What can we do - can a bank account be frozen?  I mean, you can garnish it, but it wouldnt do any good if she could just close it.  And she will lie in discovery. She obviously has money somewhere - she happily works part-time jobs, took five days off to fly to NH to spend with bf, and has been off for two weeks now -and acts like its nothing......

These are court orders going ignored!!