Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 05:42:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

To anyone who flys their child(re)

Started by Imom, Jul 02, 2005, 09:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imom

Need some help. I checked into flying with delta as they only charge 50 for the minor fee. The problem is they do not take this fee until booking in........have you ran into this problem is there a way to go around this, There is no way dh would mail bm that money...lol. I called the Jackson AirPort but all I get is a recording that gives the same number I already have.....that told me we had to may at the desk......I wonder if they would take a check or money order?????

We can not use SW as their is no direct flights.

wendl

When my son flew from MT to WA in december, we had to pay the $30 (minor without a companion(sp). Then when he returned his aunt paid the $30 at the airport from WA.

Can you call the airline and ask whom to make the check payable to and that way you are not giving bm the money, just the check payable to the airline or whomever.

**These are my opinions, they are not legal advice**

skye

I fly my son 4 times a year my daughter 3 times a year ..and after trial and error I have found that AIRTRAN is the absolute BEST airline to fly an unaccompanied minor...seriously check them out. They even have a private waiting area if there are layovers with indoor playgrounds for the UM's and will call you if a plane is delayed so you dont worry...like I said they are AWESOME ....and the UM fee can be apid when tickets are boooked just find the web fair you want and call them at 1-800-AIR-TRAN...and they will honor the web fair

http://tickets.airtran.com/skylights/cgi-bin/skylights.cgi

Imom

I checked out the site.....they do not fly out of Jackson........However, the fight we checked into through delta has a layover in Alanta.....they too have a room where they can play games, watch moves, etc.

I had dh call bm before we made arrangments....she said NO. She stated she did not care if armed gaurds with a co came to her do she would not take ss to the airport or allow him to fly.

Dh is responsible for transportation at the end of her visit...Tec. he does not need her permission we know but we would need her to take ss to the airport. Dh even offered to pay for her fuel.

Thanks anyway

Ref

Don't Mail The Money! You can go to any Delta terminal and pay both sides of the unaccompanied minor fee. You don't have to do it at the location or at the time the child boards. Just go to your airport and pay before the flight. US air has it so that you can pay over the phone. Delta is a little behind in the times.

Good Luck!
Ref

Imom

Kitty C.

As long as you are flying thru a hub of the airline you're on, they have 'customer service areas', where children and the elderly can go to get away from the terminal areas.  They are generally equipped with sofas, recliners, TV's, VCR's, video and board games, etc.  And NO ONE can access that area without going thru an airline rep., so it is also a secure location.  I have yet to hear that any certain airline does NOT have this type of service.

I just sent DS out to see his dad's family........the first time since his dad died 3 years ago.  I used his frequent flyer miles and ended up flying him out of O'Hare, changing planes in Boise, SF, then on to Sacramento.  He handled it just fine and even told me before he left that if he had any problems, he knew to ask for the customer service area and that he could stay there during his lay-over in Boise.

As for the UAM fee, I think it depends on the airline used, since the fee obviously varies from airline to airline.  Just remember that only ONE person can accompany the child past the security area to the gate, and you need a special pass to do that.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......

awakenlynn

We fly AA, it's the only one that does direct flights, but going to court to change this(we want the option of a stop-over), and we pay $80 per one way.  I pay the ticket and the minor fee seperately.  I go to the airport to pay the minor fee and it's not a problem as long as it's paid before SD gets on the flight.

c_alexander

My ex wife has flown our daughter on Frontier for some time from Colorado to St. Louis. Even though St. Louis is still a 3 hour drive from where I live due to her age most airlines don't allow her to fly unless it is a non stop flight. The tickets range in the $100-$200 range from what I have seen and there is a $40.00 unaccompanied minor fee each way.  I have never had any problems except that everytime I pick her up at the airport I get the "special" airport security feel up when I pick her up at the gate. Thank goodness I won't have to go through all that anymore.

Best of luck