Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 03:49:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Parental Alienation Syndrome (PAS) Research

Started by uabelle, Feb 09, 2006, 02:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uabelle

I am seeking persons whose families have been affected by PAS to participate in a university-sponsored research study.

All that is required is that you have an Internet connection to complete online surveys.  No person or family will be identified through their responses or demographic information.  Participants will be compensated, though the amount has not been set at this time.

For more information, please email [email protected].  More information will be provided.

Many thanks,

CustodyIQ

What university?

Who is funding it?

Please provide further details.

Kent

"Thanks for your email.  I am the researcher doing the study.  I will be working with 3-4 other researchers.  My family and extended family has been directly affected by PAS and I am interested in conducting survey research that focuses on psychological, legal, and social implications of PAS.  My short term goal is to get a pilot project approved for data collection.  Prior to submitting the proposal for approval, I have posted on different boards to see how much interest I could generate (for sample size).  I have had more than 30 people offer to participate so far, so the proposal will be submitted within the next two weeks.  My long-term goal is to develop intervention mechanisms to combat PAS and raise public awareness in the courts and social service agencies.

SPARC appears to be an excellent resource.  I hope you'll consider participating in the study."

CustodyIQ

Legitimate researchers should have no problem disclosing the institution/agency/university through which the research is conducted, the principal investigator(s), and the funding source.

PAS is indeed a serious issue deserving of serious and valid research.

It's my opinion that research conducted with strong biases does little to dispell myths about PAS, or clarify its true psychological issues.

I don't know if this project adheres to best practice or not... I simply don't have the information.

4honor

Thanks for your email.  I am the researcher doing the study.  Once approved, I will be working with 3-4 other researchers from The University of Alabama for the pilot project, and other universities in the Southeast for the larger project.  I am interested in conducting survey research that focuses on psychological, legal, and social implications of PAS.  My short term goal is to collect data from the pilot project for future submission for a larger collaborative grant proposal.  
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.

determined

As stated, the researcher already has an exposure to the topic and is attempting to develop material for use in a grant proposal.  

The bad news is that a sample size on the order of 30 respondents solicited as volunteers without demographics from an internet board is not statistically significant.  Sampling across a handful of boards will not mitigate this limitation.  

The good news is that the results collected, no matter how anecdotal in nature, can be indicative of potential respondents and might help illustrate the value of the intended research program (for the purposes of the grant application only).  Once the funding can be established, a statistically valid sample can be developed and the original results included if sufficient demographics were originally collected (or if contact information is retained for subsequent updates).

Given a professional peer review from an organization such as the University of Alabama, I would be inclined to be somewhat more encouraging of this study than some of the others we have seen.  He is facing a "chicken and egg" problem in which he needs some data in-hand to get the funding, and he needs the funding to support the proper collection of data.

Two caveats must be kept in mind:  

1.  this researcher will have to obtain the backing (not necessarily
     financial) of schools such as he described to get both the
     credibility and the peer review to ensure that the results
     can gain sufficient acceptance to be useful.

2.  this researcher will have to either collect sufficient demographics
     on the respondents or at least the contact information so that
     he can subsequently update his files when he know what
     demographics he needs.  If this scares away respondents
     who wish to remain anonymous and are uncomfortable with
     the researcher's security on contact information, an appropriate
     disclosure by the researcher may be helpful.