Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 01:51:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Input on ADHD/Bipolar Program on Frontline PBS

Started by FatherTime, Apr 28, 2008, 02:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatherTime

I'd like to get some feedback on peoples thoughts on giving these medications to children who are claimed to be ADHD/Bipolar.

My niece is on some very serious meds. I think that she doesn't need them and so does my brother. We think that her mother uses these docs/meds/ss for her own individual reasons. The child is not in school and they are headed to femily law.

I'd like some opinions if you have any...

Thank you,
FatherTime

_________________________________________________________-

Frontline PBS, The Medicated Child.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/medicatedchild/

Responses:

http://www.truveo.com/About-The-Medicated-Child-Bipolar-ADHD-Psychiat/id/875881543

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/medicating/experts/whatis.html

http://www.furiousseasons.com/archives/2008/01/frontline_on_the_bipolar_child_1.html

http://www.treatmentonline.com/treatments.php?id=2011

http://www.dare-to-dream.us/archives/2007/11/bipolar_disorder_in_children_is_rare_says_research.php

http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/tc/bipolar-disorder-in-childhood-and-adolescence-when-to-call-a-doctor

FatherTime

jzurinsky

My son was diagnosed with Bi polar disorder when he was 20 years old. He is now 25. After doing the research and living the experience we see a dramatic change when is doesn't take his meds. From what I have researched and have been told a child is not "diagnosed" as being bi polar until the late teens. They are labeled as schizophrenic. Also there is a fine line between Bi polar disorder and ADD/ADHD. Bi polar disorder doesn't usually peak until the person is in there early to mid twenties. Not to say it has never happened but rarely. My son has been with 3 different doctors and 2 therapists. The later being the most helpful. He has been stable on his meds for about a year and is enjoying life now. So my advice would be to keep informed and keep a watchful eye on behavior and moods. You might very be right! Also if you can get a couple of different professional opinions would be great. Good luck!

poohbear

Hi :) My daughter is "Jessica" in the Frontline program, and was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder at age 5. A few years later, she was also diagnosed with ADHD. She is medicated for both.

I highly recommend contacting a teaching hospital in your area to find a pediatric psychiatrist who is highly educated on pediatric bipolar disorder for a second opinion.

There are many children who are misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder. Unfortunately, my daughter is not one of them. It's becoming the new "in" thing, and that seriously concerns me. The medications used to treat the symptoms of bipolar disorder are nothing to mess with, and once diagnosed...the diagnosis will stay with your child into adulthood. College entrance applications, job applications, life insurance...it can be devastating.

poohbear

John Breeding is a quack. I've seen his little video...if you notice, he can't stay on topic. Rambles frequently, and is easily distracted. He appears, to me, to have classic ADD himself.

FLMom

Poohbear,

I watched the video of Jessica's story. She is such a beautiful girl. Just wow on all you guys have had to deal with and how she's shone through.

IMHO I've seen one case that rips my heart out. It's a child with an active imagination and just as normal as can be. The mother is unfortunately the problem. She's tired. . . she's stressed. . . so when the child acted like a typical child, she suddenly needed to be medicated for ADD. I think it's a sad truth that in a lot of cases it's easier for the parents to request medication than actually practice the art of being a parent.

poohbear

Many parents run for meds. It's sad. I hate that Jessica is on meds, and likely will be for the rest of her life. But, if she forgets to take one pill (She takes Adderall in the morning for ADHD, and Abilify at night) we can tell by her behavior.

She can't function without Adderall. Can't get dressed, can't do the simplest of tasks. Without Abilify, she is full of rage--scary rage.

I do wish the documentary had done more to show history...what we all went through. We've had a LOT of counseling. We even volunteered for a program when she was four to have a social worker from CPS and a therapist come into our home several hours a week. We did everything we could for her, learned everything we could, implemented any parenting technique that was suggested. I could teach several parenting classes. lol

We even tried to change her diet and add supplements. When a 4-5 year old child wants to kill you, it's not fun. The video taken at Dr. Axelson's office when she was 5 is but a small snippet. We had to put all our knives and any medications in the house into a box with a keyed padlock. (She often said she would put pills in our soda bottle, or stab us in our sleep).

She went weeks with little to no sleep, then weeks of nothing but sleep. She would scream for hours--8+. Never cried herself to sleep. And holding her, talking to her, soothing music, nothing consoled her.

Everything about her was so over the top. We have another daughter who is 2 years younger. She has no issues, and no meds.

I have a SS who is in the middle...his mother had him on medication for ADHD for years, and threw a fit when DH got primary responsibility for medical and had him taken off all meds. The kid has been med free for over a year, and doing fine! PB just didn't want to parent him...and still doesn't.

I have seen all sides, and I absolutely hate when parents just want a pill to fix things. Jessica isn't "fixed" because she takes meds. She has to be actively parented every minute of every day. Just now--I told her to brush her teeth and lay out her clothes for tomorrow...her response? A scream because she doesn't want to. It's my job to teach her that response isn't appropriate. At 13 she still has horrible tantrums. But she sleeps regularly,  does well in school, and doesn't want to kill all of us. Meds don't make life perfect by any means.

4honor

Children are often misdiagnosed with the current diagnosis trend. Beg borrow and steal to get a thorough workup on your niece and appropriate treatment for her and education for yourselves.

I have seen kids who do not have ADD/ADHD be medicated because it was easier than parenting the child. I have seen other children not get the medication that is needed.

SS has been medicated for years becuase BM didn't want to get a decent EYE TEST done on him and his has a form of dyslexia. (he also has some serious psychopathic issues, but that is for another time.)

Do the leg work. Be an advocate for a correct diagosis for your child. If you find a strange behavior/condition as part of your child's pattern, make sure it is part of the diagnosis.

For example, my DS has long tapered fingers and has periods of restlessness followed with extreme fatigue and irritability. Classic symptoms for a heart disorder that is recessive in my family genetics. The long tapered fingers gave it away. Seems like a strange symptom but it relates. My other son has Reynaud's Disease which is also connected for unknown reasons with heart problems. DS2 literally wiggles all the time... he has to, cause he falls asleep if he doesn't. The increased activity keeps his heart rate up enough to keep him awake. Many teachers have tried to tell us he is ADHD and to get him tested. Thank you, he has been tested.

You have to have the WHOLE child looked at. Don't let anyone diagnose her by remote... they have to be there.
A true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him...dear parents, please remember not to continue to fight because you hate your ex, but because you love your children.