Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Trying to help a friend....  (Read 2446 times)

Helping Dad

  • Guest
Trying to help a friend....
« on: Nov 25, 2003, 10:18:16 AM »
My friends husband is going to prison probably sometime in April.  They have been married for 9 years and they have 2 children.  Right now they are living with HER parents because they lost their house and they also lost both of their cars.  My friend has not worked outside of the home since having her first child 4 years ago.  So now she is looking for work and trying to figure out how she can afford to raise and support 2 children on her own.  She is afraid that HIS parents will try to take the children or get some sort of visitation once he leaves for prison.  They are very strange to say the least.  They live 2 hours away but wanted them to bring the kids to visit them every weekend and if they didnt they would get mad.  Should she be worried about hte grandparents and what are their rights since she doesnt have a house, a car, or a job right now?  I feel so bad for her and her kids, I have no idea what to say to her or even how to help her.  She has been my best friend for the past 13 years and she needs me now more than ever and Im clueless.  Thanks for letting me vent...my heart is breaking for her!

Kitty C.

  • Moderator
  • SuperHero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2612
  • Karma: 938
    • View Profile
Seems to me..........
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2003, 01:33:21 PM »
...that if they have an intact marriage, regardless of whether he's in prison or not, there's not a dang thing the g-parents can do legally in regards to custody or visitation.  I'm assuming the father has NO lost all rights to his children, right?

An initial consultation with an atty. is usually free; can you take her to one, just to get some local feedback?
Handle every stressful situation like a dog........if you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away.......


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.