Separated Parenting Access & Resource Center
crazy gamesriddles and jokesfunny picturesdeath psychic!mad triviafunny & odd!pregnancy testshape testwin custodyrecipes

Author Topic: Need some advise about Custody ASAP  (Read 2176 times)


  • Guest
Need some advise about Custody ASAP
« on: Jan 01, 2004, 02:08:39 PM »
Okay, here we go.  My sister in law abondoned her son when he was young, left him with my MIL.  About two years ago, MIL allowed the child to go live with Mother, the Custody was to be Joint Custody with primary with Mom.  Now Mom and Child have moved in with MIL since March of last year, will be one year this March.   Mother has a flipping out problem, she works two jobs night and day, use to only work one, but she does not support the child.  The child gets a check from Social Security because of Father and my MIL is gaurdian of that check and supplies the child with his needs.   Child was a failing student when with Mom and MIL and FIL got him up to honor student.  He loves his school, doing really well, taking drum lessons and just being the typical 13 year old kid.  Mom is always freaking on him, child can't take it anymore, child told Mom today when you move out I am staying.  Mom told off MIL and child and said no way.  What can my MIL do?  Child is scared of Mother and don't want to go and Mother is never home.  Child new what it was like to be with Mom for about a year in a half and he don't want to cook his own meals and take care of himself, he wants a family life.  The life he knows my in laws can give him.  His Mother tells him he was a mistake and is so mean to him.   If my MIL tells her to leave what can she do about her grandson?  Please someone help us....

Indigo Mom

  • Guest
RE: Need some advise about Custody ASAP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2004, 06:29:01 AM »
hmmmm...I have absolutely NO legal advice for this one, so hopefully someone will come by and correct this one.

What about filing in court as an "interested 3rd party"?  I think, if a child has been in your home for 6 months, if you've been providing all the basic needs, if you're taking care of said child....you could be considered an interested 3rd party.

I have no clue about grandparent rights...so forgive me...but I'd check out this 3rd party stuff if I were you.  You definitely don't want this child living with his "mom" if she's going to tell him DISGUSTING things like he was a mistake.  how sick is this woman??????????  No child is a mistake...


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 610
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Need some advise about Custody ASAP
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2004, 12:09:20 PM »
Where is the dad?  

Can MIL take child to a counselor?  This would help him sort out his feeling and it would also be documented by an outsider as to the emotional abuse imposed on the child, which may help in future court proceedings.


  • Guest
Sorry Dad also Abandoned child and now is in half way house
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2004, 01:52:00 PM »
also we just went through the CCES stuff and I gave my MIL the card today and she is going to call that DR and try to get in with that, she is also going to ask the Mother to join, but most likely she will not.  


Copyright © SPARC - A Parenting Advocacy Group
Use of this website does not constitute a client/attorney relationship and this site does not provide legal advice.
If you need legal assistance for divorce, child custody, or child support issues, seek advice from a divorce lawyer.