Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 07:03:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do I have to give NCP insurance card?

Started by Tennessee Dad, Mar 24, 2005, 06:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Dad

My ex- is "insisting" on a copy of my insurance card for our daughter. I have "primary" custody, and maintain insurance. When she had a copy of insurance coverage in the past, she would take daughter to the Dr. on her whim; the Dr. would diagnose a cold or allergies, or some such thing we were already aware of, and I would be sent the bill. Thus far, I have not given her a copy of the new insurance card this year.

Legally, can I refuse to provide her a copy of the card? Mom has the option to take daughter to the Dr. I have selected, but she doesn't want to take her there. She wants her own choice.

Any help would be appreciated!

jilly

What does your court order say?  Are you and your ex supposed to pay 50/50 anything not paid by insurance?
As for her taking your daughter to the doctor and sending you the bill, you shouldn't have to pay anything until insurance has made a payment.  But again, it depends on what your court order says with regards to insurance, how medical bills are to be paid and who is responsible for paying what when it comes to medical bills. Are you saying she's taking your daughter to a doctor outside of your insurance carriers network?  If so, your insurance carrier would still pay at least 80%.

KAT

Yeah sure, send her a copy. Type on the back in small letters that the policy holder is responsible for insurance coverage only. Policy holder will not be responsible to provider for any co-pays or additional expenses. Laminate it, send it to her.

In your letter state that in the future if she continues to illegally sign your name as requesting services for the minor child & guaranteeing payment that you will contact the local authorities to see if it is possible to file charges due to fraud, forgery and identity theft. Also make it clear that you will correct the records at the providers showing who is responsible for payment. Listen unless there is a court order baring her from seeking treatment for the child then you can't stop her from obtaining services. What happens if the child is badly injured while in her care? Gotta stop & make a call to the CP before doing anything? Wait, DOC, no stitches, gotta contact the CP. Kid could bleed to death by then. It's not reasonable in most cases. HOWEVER you can stop yourself from being billed for them. If you don't give her the medical card the wacko will just take the child without one anyway. More headaches...trust me; we have one of those hypochondriacs too. Been there, done that, played this game. Tell her the law & where you stand on it. In the future, should there be a modification, request that if she takes the child for care that she submits to you a copy of the bill AND a copy of her CANCELLED check within 30 days of treatment in order to be reimbursed. Failure to do so within the time specified means she forfeits payment. (If she's like ours you'll never see anything...because she never pays the bill herself! )

Good Luck!

KAT

Tennessee Dad

I like your suggestion!  

I am considering giving her the card, with the stipulation that whenever she uses it, SHE is responsible for the co-pay and other uncovered costs.  Then, if she can show it was medically necessary, then I will reimburse her for half.  Maybe that will slow her down a little, but probably not.  My thought is without the card, or the money, she will have a harder time trying to find a Dr. that wants her business.  

I want to make it perfectly clear; I am not trying to deny my daughter medical treatment.  I am trying to prevent her from being subjected to unnecessary medical treatment.  

Lawmoe

You must provide it. I Moreover, I do not understand whay you would not want to. Should there be a medical issue ofr an emergency, it will be needed.

Pick your battles carefully and fight only those that make sense.

Tennessee Dad

I guess I need to explain; Mom is a hypochondriac.  When she had daughter, they went to the Dr. about every 3-4 weeks.  Usually the Dr. would say "well, she has allergies", but Mom would insist on anti-biotics and the nurse-practioner she was seeing would give them to her more often than not.  It was easier to give them to her, and shut her up, than listen to her.  

I am in no way trying to prevent daughter from seeing a Dr. when she needs to.  The local Dr. and hospital both have the insurance info on file, and Mom is listed as ok to request medical treatment.  All I am trying to do if protect our daughter from UNNECESSARY medical treatment, based on past history.  Mom's other son (another Father) has made numerous trips to the Dr. this year, and missed several days of school.  Our daughter has had 2 visits, neither urgent but simply because Mom was throwing a fit, and missed no school.  And Mom has not paid a dime for medical treatment in over 3 years, to the best of my knowledge.  I have paid every co-pay and all prescriptions, and everything else daughter needs.    I am simply trying to see our daughter gets what she needs, without subjecting her to this behavior.  

Sorry, I did not mean to sound harsh; it is just fact.