Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Need some "employment" feedback...

Started by lucky, Apr 11, 2008, 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky

8 days ago, I gave my notice to my current employer as I have a new position MUCH closer to home with less time involvement (back to normal 40/wk). At my current employer there are some processes that must be monitored/verified daily M-F that are fairly critical to the business. Unless there is a problem this takes ~15 minutes. Along with that are systems that I manage that no one else has ever bothered to learn - again, fairly critical but very stable with few issues. I'm in IT and currently (if my title were correct) be an applications administrator/data analyst - that's close anyway. All of these daily processes and systems will become obsolete as of 10/01/08 due to a different application being implemented. Also, my current employer has excellent tech support for it's applications.

The corporate office has decided not to replace me, but instead has asked if I would stay on as a part-time contractor to monitor those processes and assist with "emergency issues" that might arise. I'm open to this, but really don't know anything about contract work and my local HR person told me I should put together what I'm willing to do and the number of hours per week, pay rate, etc. and submit it then Legal needs to draw up the contract to sign.

Ok, here's what I'm looking at:

Monitoring/troubleshooting daily processes
Other emergency issues (need to define emergency though) during my off-hours from my new job
Up to 10 hours per week.
No weekends or holidays (they're notorious for expecting this of employees & contractors)
I can terminate the contract with one weeks notice
Contract to end 10/01/2008
General troubleshooting of other processes or the applications will be handled by employees or tech support.

Does this sound fair, good, right, wrong? Am I asking for trouble? Anyone who has done this before?

Also, what would I charge? I know what I currently earn for them and they were willing to give me a raise to keep me, but my leaving isn't about the money - it's the time and personal life that were missing. That's why the 10 hour limit - it would be equivalent to the commute I'm giving up, but I won't be working the 10-12 hours a day six days a week anymore on top of the commute.

Thanks for any input. They're kind of pressing me (only 3 more business days till I'm done) and I want to decide, but don't want to get in deeper than I should because I rush this decision and I don't know what I'm doing regarding any form on contract work.

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers

olanna

not their legal department.  You need to give them specific times you will monitor these queues (or whatever they are) and how you will report the status.  Be sure to outline the SLA with them and let them know what they can expect for their money.

Some things I see arising in this:

Your limit is 10 hours per week. When will you work this?  Be sure you outline very specific times they can expect to see you. If you are doing it remotely, be sure that is stated in the contract.

If there are problems, who will resolve them?

How will you report it?

Will you be a 1099? If yes, how will submit time and be paid.

keep in mind, if you are a 1099, adjust your hourly salary accordingly, as you will have to pay your own income taxes.

Hope that helped.

Olanna

lucky

THanks for your input Olanna.  Ultimately, after MUCH discussion, I decided that it would be best to just say no - after all, I'm leaving there for a reason and staying on would simply put be back at those kind of hours only with 2 jobs instead of 1.

[em]Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip.
- Will Rogers[em]
Lucky

Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip. ~  Will Rogers