Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 24, 2024, 09:01:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Florida - Child Care (After School Care) subject to FERPA?

Started by ForMyKids, Nov 23, 2008, 05:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForMyKids

My 3 children (Ages 5, 8 and 10) were enrolled in a program called "Creative Learning and Play" run by the local city government with grants or funded 100 percent by the Children's Trust, which obtains it funds completely by the taxpayer.    The program's design was to assist with homework and then play.  To make a long story short, the program is in complete opposition to its name.

I have requested their records 3 times verbally and I have received utter resistance (i.e., we cannot do that, etc).  Most of these records involve my signature.   I would like to know if FERPA applies or what other "Federal" statue/policy would apply?  Thank you.

Ref

As far as I know, this type of daycare isn't required to follow FERPA. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems that it is more of a daycare than a educational institution. FERPA also encompasses schools with federal funding. If the school is run with only state or local funding, it is not held to FERPA.

I may be wrong, so what I recommend is contacting The Flordia Department of Education Division of Public Schools and Community Education Bureau of Instructional Support and Community Services. 850-487-3510 or email [email protected] or [email protected]

I know Florida has a state law similar to FERPA, so they actually may have requirements that are similar if they qualify due to state funding instead of federal funding.

Good Luck
ref

gemini3

Do you have legal custody of the children?  You could try putting your request in writing and sending it certified mail, return receipt requested.  In your letter, request that any denials be made in writing.

What reason are they giving for denying your request?