Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 10:42:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm Not Sure Where To Start

Started by WildBeauty, Jan 18, 2009, 05:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildBeauty

After eight years and my move to GA, my ex and I are divorced.  He lives in NYC where custody was decided for our son, now 19.  I am liable for support, 1/2 health care and 1/2 college expenses.  As I'm currently unemployed (going on 14 months and actively looking too), they aren't getting too much here.  I have a small part time job, which pay $7.00/hour for 8 hours total ($56).  The two of them are ALL about money - a day does not go by where one of them asks for something ..never comprehending that one can not squeeze blood from a stone.  This has gone on for far too long as it even was in place when I was working.  I am contemplating terminating my parental rights and am ambivalent.  On the one hand, I want the harassment to stop ... (as I type, the phone is ringing AGAIN) on the other, I am concerned how this will afffect our son (he has many issues with my being here and him still in NY).  I'd like him to understand that regardless of my lack of funds that I still love him and will care for him when I can BUT he is so much his father's son, that it's almost impossible to get through to him.  I feel guilty even contemplating this. 

Has anyone ever gone though anything like this? Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated. 

Thanks.

ocean

You let the phone go to the answering machine or voicemail. Send a note to your ex that you will only communicate by e-mail. Talk to your son and tell him the situation and that if he wants to talk or visit that is fine but right now money is tight and you can not afford anything else. However, you need to still support him until 21 in NY. Pay what is court ordered and try to have a relationship with your son. After a while the ex will give up calling if you do not engage. If not, you can show the phone calls and prove harassment.
Good luck..