Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Insurance

Started by I cry_ in_the_dark, Jan 23, 2009, 05:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I cry_ in_the_dark

The court order reads that the CP who is eligible to receive FREE government insurance, is to provide the insurance. He is responsible to pay the first $250 dollars of anything not covered by insurance, then any amount over that is to be split 50/50.

While I am court ordered to receive a total of 4 weeks during the summer, my kids spend the whole summer with me. (more closely, 3 months).  I've never disputed any amount of child support that I pay regardless.

This last summer, my son woke me up at 3 AM complaining of ear pain. I took my son to an Emergy care center in walking distance of my home. They advised me that they could not accept my sons Insurance. (Dad is in PA.  I am in SC).  They provided me with phone numbers of the local hospitals and I made calls from that center and found a hospital that would accept the out of state ACCESS  insurance.

I took my son there, he was treated, I stopped at the drug store and paid for his prescription, never questioning or asking for reimbursement from Dad.  In December, 5 months after taking son to the hospital, I received a bill in the mail. After spending several days, speaking to people in 5 different states trying to find out what this bill was for, I learned the bill was for the doctor(whom he NEVER saw, haha, isn't that a hoot...he was treated by a woman but the DR. wa a male). End result, the DR. did NOT accept the insurance, nor could he go on-line to sigh up for them to pay because he no longer worked there.  I also learned during the course of my phone calls that the Hospital itself had not been paid, but was still pending. ( 5 months later? OK?) To date,I don't  know if the hospital has been paid.

I advised Dad that I had received this bill, and I did EVERY thing I could to avoid anyone having to pay it...to no avail. So during my New Year's visit, I gave a copy of this bill to Dad, and advised him that I made payment on it. (Didn't want my credit ruined)

He told me "Oh well"... I have a bill for $750 bux for when I took son to the ER this year too.  I   renewed late so there was a lapse in his insurance.  So they won't pay it. I'll pay half of your hospital bill afterI receive my income tax. His "half" is not anywhere near the court ordered amount.

Since he failed to file paperwork that allowed our son FREE insurance, do ya'll think or legally know if I am responsible for any of HIS BOOFOO? Should I be held liable  because
DAD simply failed to file some paperwork?

ocean

Mail him the bill certified mail with signature. Does your court order address how many days you have to pay bill? Wait until that is over and then file with family court to be reimbursed. You MAY be able to do this through CSE (child support enforcement). In my state you have to prove to them that you sent mail with the receipt then they filed for me.