Welcome to SPARC Forums. Please login or sign up.

Apr 26, 2024, 10:32:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New user, need advice.....

Started by jasonjohn, May 04, 2009, 06:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonjohn

I've been divorced for about 4 years now. We were awarded joint physical custody. She has since remarried to a really nice guy and they have a little girl. Things have been really well for the most part. But this past Saturday night her husband called me and said that he is leaving her. He said she has been going out drinking and not coming home, and is addicted to pain killers. He wanted to know if my son could finish the school year there and then come live with me. He said he doesn't trust her with either of the kids. She also has 2 kids from her 1st marriage that she has not had contact with in over 12 years. I want to apply for full custody of my son. I'm sure she's going to fight it, and I know she has no money to afford a lawyer. I have no clue where to start. My parents are both in law enforcement and agreed to do some research to find a good lawyer. I have no idea what to expect. I really want my son here, in a safe and stable home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ocean

Ok...
Can the SF send you evidence of drug abuse? Pain killers? Emergency room visit? Will he testify for you? Does the SF think it is a dangerous situation where you can ask for temp custody NOW?
Is step-dad keeping your son until the end of school or mother? Can he finish school where he is with you bringing him back and forth?
A lot going on here but you need hard facts to back up why mother should not have custody. He said she said wont hold up in court...

jasonjohn

I agree, he said she said will go nowhere. Her current husband will confirm what he told me. He wants whats best for my son as well. Her sister also said she would back me on this. The husband has a record of what she's done in the past 4 months. It's hard to prove any kind of drug addiction. Her husband is going to work on that. He will be going through the same thing with their daughter. Thank you for your reply!

ocean

Where is she getting the pills? Can he get a record of it? From insurance company or checking accounts? If you know she is drinking and driving , call it in. You can maybe both go for temporary custody at the same time?

jasonjohn

His stepdad is with him when he's home from school in the evenings. He's not letting my son out of his sight. I trust him, he's a good person and we've always got along great. I have an appt Monday to talk to a lawyer. I also just found out she has 3 warrants for traffic violation. Any idea if credit is pulled on the parents in a custody case? This would be a huge benefit.